smaller surf rod

G'Day all. I'm in the market for a smaller surf rod to match up with a 4000 size spin reel running braid. This will mainly be used for casting poppers and lures at salmon.Looking for something that will get some distance on the lighter lures, but still handle the heavier lures and hopefully some big fish!!Not too sure if graphite or glass would be better. Think a two peice will be more practical, but if a one peice is the better rod I will go that way. I think my lovely wife is capping the budget at $200!!!So basically I'm fairly open to any input on style or brands. Cheers

Hey Rooboy, We have a few around 10ft perfect for chucking metals and lures for salmon, snook, mullies etc. A few different brands okuma do a 10ft xfactor 2pc 8-10kgs for $149. Shimano have a nexave which is 9ft southern spin 2pc 4-8kgsfor $139 both would suit a 4000 size reel.Come down and see us at Tackleworld Salisbury we'll sort you outCheers dubs

Hi Mate. I would strongly recommend Daiwa Seajigger 305 if you can increase your budget by 60$.Alternatively you can go with Shimano Nexave, i have used it for about 15 trips to Browns Beach and one trip to West Coast. Very light but powerful rod, you can cast all day. The only trouble is if you need to cast heavier lures like 60+g then Nexave is no good. I got Seajigger for my birthday in November and i love it, it is very well balanced with my Daiwa Seagate 3500HD reel. One tip for you if you decide to go with Shimano. First of all Nexave is not on their webside, it was re-branded for Takleworld and some other shops, but it is actually Starlo Stix Shore Spin 902 in black colour.Also you can buy it from Ann and Ray's for only 89AUD. They sell it under different name, sorry forgot the model name, but again it is same rod as Nexave and Shore Spin 902.You will be happy with both Shimano and Daiwa but you get what you pay for, Shimano will last you maybe 2-3 seasons, Daiwa Seagigger 305 will last you years. Plus you can cast lures up to 100g with Daiwa.But if you are not going anywhere further then Browns then 89AUD is all you need to spend to have lots of fan with salmon.

Thanks to everyone for their input.Dubs, If i lived in Adelaide i wouldve come and seen u guys, but i live on the EP. A big reason i like reading these forums(and asking a few silly questions!) is that im a bit isolated. Today though, found me in Lincoln, so i could go into a tackleshop for a look around.I ended up with the Starlo Stix shore spin 5-10kg. So its funny i ended up with what was suggested!!! Wouldnt mind getting this rod under a different name if it meant getting away from the poxy blue colour my rod is!Naydonov cheers for the info mate. If i find im doing a lot of this style of fishing, i might have to convince the boss lady i need a Daiwa Seajigger!!For under 100bucks im pretty happy with the rod and cant wait to test her out on Saturday.Cheers

rooboy123 wrote:

For under 100bucks im pretty happy with the rod and cant wait to test her out on Saturday.Cheers

Good choice mate. You will not regret. Me and my mate have used it for a year and have been so happy with these rods. Since i got my Daiwa my wife started to use my Nexave when i take her to Browns. :) So far no complains. I would recommend using 15lb braid with this rod as you can cast a mile, something like Tufline, only cost 25bucks a 300y spool from the US.