Port River Area advice

Hi guys,I was just wandering if it is safe to use a small 3.7 metre Savage Jabaru Tinny with a 25 Hp motor in the port river?Just that Im staying with the Daughter in Exeter this comming long weekend and to eleviate the bordom I thought I might bring me tinny that I use in the river around the Riverland.Every time I have been down that way it seems to be fairly protected.If it is safe and not asking for secret spots or anything, where is the best areas to dump a line and what sort of fish do you catch and are there any crabs etc.Cheers,MickZ

Safe as houses if its not blowing its guts out,be aware that there is an anchoring ban in most of the port up to snapper point and out the nth arm.There should be a few salmon trout around but most will be pretty small at this time of year,a few crabs on the flats between snapper point and St Kilda and its a good spot for rays if you want some fun.Personally i'd drift along near the edges and cast lures for bream or anchor on the flats with large weed beds and burley for gar and mullet. cheers brenton

Hi Brenton, Thanks for your advice and taking out the time and effort to reply. I find it amazing that heaps of people have a look at topics but not many people want to give out general advice its obvious that not many fish in the port river, is there any other spots that are safe for small tinys in the metro area.PS If you ever venture up to the riverland and want to know some spots give me a ring.Cheers,Mickz

Mick, if everyone else is anything like me, they would have had a look, realised Brenton already summed it all up really well, and that there was no need to add anything else.Really, the only thing to know about the port is that your boat will be quite safe there, there is an anchoring ban, and that you can expect the species already mentioned.All I could really add would be "yeah, what Brenton said!" and also to be aware of posted speed restrictions.If you want to have a closer look at the Port, google is the way to go, and if you have anything specific you need to know about the port (ramps, depths, tides, etc), fire away and we'll try to help.

is there any other spots that are safe for small tinys in the metro area.

If winds are under 10 knots and seas are under 0.5m you will be ok. In the Adelaide area it's normally calm in the early mornings, and the wind tends to pick up around lunchtime, so if you are fishing anywhere outside the estuary, be prepared to get out and return early.

Thanks Mick,i was going to add that there are also plenty of mully and snapper in there but you have to know the patterns but i've never really put in the time to find them out.p.s if you do want gar try opposite the container wharf near the pylons on the opposite side where the deeper water runs up onto the flats on the incoming tide,just berley and wait. cheers brenton

Brenton summed it up pretty well Mick.Currently near the top end (outer harbor )(there are some salmon trout but most are under size.You can launch at Birkenhead near the tavern ( free) or snowdens beach ( $ 7.00)Suggest you look at birkenhead if not happygo north on Victoria Road till you get to the fire station on r/h corner, turn right , over the railway line and turn left , follow road around and entrance to ramp carpark is on the right opposite port adelaide sailing club.