Flying and fishing gear?

Softy on a trip to Cairns 2 years ago I tried to take my reels and flies on as carry on luggage. I got to the scanner things and they made me take the boxes of flies back to the counter and book them in with my luggage. I had thoughts of them not arriving or some snotty baggage handler knocking them off all the way to Cairns. They arrived along with the 8 foot rod case holding the 5 flyrods I took and I was a happy man. On the return trip all was packed in my luggage to be stored in the hold. Why I'd want to hyjack a plane with fish hooks is a mystery but that's what the world has come to.Cheers Darren

Softy, rods have to be checked in. Even if small enough to fit into overhead luggage cabins as the are considered a prohibited item. I have purchased a qood quality rod holder and a 3 piece that fits into my suit case to over come these issues after being denied !!I have even put them into my golf bag when carrying that around as well.

My experience has been that reels in my carry on luggage have been checked to ensure there are no hooks attached, they've had no problem with them being fully spooled and sent me on my way.I've always put my rods in a hard tube and checked them in (no excess baggage bullsh$# you just have to take them to the oversize baggage counter after you've checked in).Lures and hooks and what not have always been in my checked in baggage and after doing the above every time I've travelled I've had no headaches.If you do get pulled up just be as nice as you possibly can and smile as much as your face allows. Believe me, I know: the poor pri#%s at security get given a hard time by everyone they check and they are simply doing what they've been told to do in accordance with clumsy legislation that has been instituted by DOTARS.I am fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to deal with airport security on a regular basis, feel free to PM if I can throw any more light on the subject.Cheers. Hope it goes well.