have been looking for a new surf rod combo for down salt creeklooked at the rovex 'Big Gun' or may have been Big Game i forget any way its the 'new' graphite surf rods instead of the traditional Glass heaps lighter and pretty gutsyits rated 8-15kg and 12 foot long any one had any experience with these rods?ive got a rovex magnetite and its great but not sure about the surf rodswas probly gonna buy it friday with a penn slammer or spinfisher reelthanks for any help and advice

Mr_Willy wrote:

I would recommend the same reel as reelin, and match it up with a Snyder Glas rod.... can't go wrong in my opinon!! MT Fish Striker 8144....

now your talking... cant beat the snyderglas... getting hard to find now though, but if you manage to find one, its a life long rod.forget about the new age fandangled stuff on the market these days.. go the REAL rod...

I have one of the rovex 'Big Boss' rods that you describeI find it great to cast with but I only have it coupled to a Aerlex 4000 reel, they will cast up to 100gm lure but struggle to cast a big bait & weight, 3oz & a pillie ok.I've caught big salmon & landed a few eaglies, & yes they are a gutsy rod, cast a treat & light to hold, but if your wanting to cast big baits & weights look at the setup Mr Willy recomendsYorky

hmmm interesting yeah am looking to use it as a mulloway comboso big baits and sinkersarent those synderglass quite expensive?that throws a spanner in the works was gonna go and buy the outfit tomorow now i gotta start looking thru all those tackle stores again :laugh:

Go to the tackle shop,tell them your budget and what you're after,it's intended use,and I'm sure they'll see you right......especially the guy's on here ;)....what area are you in?......I'm sure one of the blokes here are close by,they'll talk to you. After-all,it is their business,and they lose customers and reputation if they sell you a "bum steer" It's going to be a "win - win" situation B)

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Go to the tackle shop,tell them your budget and what you're after,it's intended use,and I'm sure they'll see you right......especially the guy's on here ;)....what area are you in?......I'm sure one of the blokes here are close by,they'll talk to you. After-all,it is their business,and they lose customers and reputation if they sell you a "bum steer" It's going to be a "win - win" situation B)

have to agree with that for sure... as with snyderglas rods, ive seen them for around 170-200... might be outside your budget on what you planned to spend, but on the other hand, with a snyder, its a once of purchase.ive got 3.... a 10ft 2 piece overhead rod, my 2 piece 8144 for an alvey set up, and the big gun 7153 one piece also for an alvey.the big rod will handle anything that swims... ive had it creaking on many big eagles and it doesnt even look like breaking.but you just wont find an 8153 these days...though i do know of ONE on this forum, that i was told MAY be for sale... set up for a big spinner as well...i wont mention names or a price, but if the bloke is keen he may be temmtped...i shall steer him in the dirrection of this thread and its his call then...the 153 in action.and im not a little fella... believe me, im laying in to it BIG time in these pics....Posted ImagePosted Image
Johnny Rotten wrote:

an honest man B) looks a real ballsy, don't argue type rod.......the way it should always be ;)

they dont come much better than that rod ... its over 25 yrs old, and as tuff as the day it was born. prety soon , its going to get a birthday... a full strip down, rethread, varnish and some marbling done on it...actually, i might just start it tomorrow :)
Guest matty_G

if u want to go a bit cheaper you could try a wilson 5150 ive got one and i rekn there pretty good,i dont surf fish a great deal so i cant justify spendin 3 hundred bux on a surf rod but if you price around you can find them on sale for a reasonable price,i paid a bit for mine but that was a while ago,3 or 4 months ago i picked up a 4150 for 50 bux at sfc which was a steal

im down southlooking in anglers choice todaylooked at a 'beast master' by shimanoand a rod by penn not sure of name ive a terrible memorythey had the wilsons but only 10ft i really want a 12they have more coming in next week so ill go back then and have another look seewhere/wat is SFC?any where else i can go for a browse?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest shagging
Ubolt wrote:

have been looking for a new surf rod combo for down salt creeklooked at the rovex 'Big Gun' or may have been Big Game i forget any way its the 'new' graphite surf rods instead of the traditional Glass heaps lighter and pretty gutsyits rated 8-15kg and 12 foot long any one had any experience with these rods?ive got a rovex magnetite and its great but not sure about the surf rodswas probly gonna buy it friday with a penn slammer or spinfisher reelthanks for any help and advice

Gotta go for the spinfisher mate i have one and thier the best in my book perfect for the type off rod your planning on!The only thing i suggest is that you buy them together too match the weight properly as the spinfisher is heavy! :)