Sounds like maybe the drag is a bit sticky. Id be taking the drag washers out and giving them a good clean. A bit of a wet sand with a fine grade of wetndry on something really smooth like a plate of glass on the metal washers. Reoil if necessary and put back together again. That should sort it out. ;)

afishyfish wrote:

It may also be that the reels been left with the drag overtightened, compressing the washers. If this is the case, you'll probably need new washers ;)

im with vb4me,..prob just needs a good clean... but aff is right... my drags are always loose when im not fishing...cept for the alvey, but that doesnt even get a rinse after a fish... no real need to

hey Pes, Take your drag apart and giv them a good clean with turps dry them off make sure your have a teflon washer on the bottom them an alloy washer etc etc, if there is an alloy washer that has a square cut out in the centre rather than a circle he belongs in the middle.Use NO oil or Grease will make it sticky, drags dont need no oil.And like aff and rocknev said always back your drag right off after fishingDubs

Help please,Following advice I proceeded to have a go at the washers, as I tried to remove the spring which holds in the washers, as soon as I lifted out the spool it took off at a hundred miles an hour and did not even see where it went.the reel appears to be an older one ( not seen on website) and is a shimano aernos 2000Any body know where I would be able to obtain a new spring please and might as well change the washer too.Thanks.pes

Sounds like you may need to take it into a tackle shop for some expert assiatance Pesc ;) I have found It always pays to take things like this apart in a confined area, over something flat and solid to avoid accidental losses.It also helps to place things out in a methodical "reverse" order to make re-assembly easy too