Changing hooks on lures

Just a basic question.I'm wanting to change hooks on some of my hard lures - such as the Sluck Whitebait.Seems to be the usual "spring thing" attachment.How the hell do you change em' on your own??There must be a knack to it.Changed one the other day on my mate's boat but that took 2 of us.Any advice appreciated.Hopefully get them changed and then won't lose big Snook as I get them to the side of the boat :):)

Tyke wrote:

I'm wanting to change hooks on some of my hard lures - Seems to be the usual "spring thing" attachment.How the hell do you change em' on your own??There must be a knack to it.

I hope Fishie didnt get stabbed in the process ! :blink: If you're talking about the split rings on them, I think you'll find there are pliers on the market designed to open them up a bit to make this job a bit easier.personally I usually just use another hook point to open one end of the split ring enough to start sliding the old hook along, but before I start sliding it out, I put the new hook in the same gap, behind the one I'm pushing out, but over the single part of the ring. That way the new hook will sit where its supposed to as the old one is almost outIt maybe sounds awkward, but not that hard with larger hooks and rings, but a complete pain in the backside for smaller lures !
Guest shagging
Tyke wrote:

SPLIT RINGS - that's what I meant!!Just on my second coffee...... :silly: Fishie was holding the knife! :laugh: I seem to need 3 hands - the split ring pliers sound interesting.I'll call into Bunnings today

Even craft shops have them mate! im making my own lures and got some today at ttp craft shop! :)
Guest shagging
Ranger wrote:

For the small split rings grab a pair of Smith's Split Ring Pincettes from any reputable tacklestore.Posted Image

I just use a knife! "DAMN" thats why im hurting my fingers lol

Tyke Are you going to put trebles back on? I've recently changed over to owner singles which seem to hold onto the fish better and do alot less damage to the mouth if using for livebait .There are more benefits to singles its quicker to get the fish off the hook once captured ,less bleeding and you haven't got six pointy ends to stick you in the process of unhooking.I,m very impressed with singles and have changed over my lead slugs for salmon also.I tried them recently at browns and had better hookups with less lost to the leaping,also less area for snagging up on the reef or floating weed.

bluey68 wrote:

Tyke Are you going to put trebles back on? I've recently changed over to owner singles which seem to hold onto the fish better and do alot less damage to the mouth if using for livebait .There are more benefits to singles its quicker to get the fish off the hook once captured ,less bleeding and you haven't got six pointy ends to stick you in the process of unhooking.I,m very impressed with singles and have changed over my lead slugs for salmon also.I tried them recently at browns and had better hookups with less lost to the leaping,also less area for snagging up on the reef or floating weed.

I doubt I''l put the treble back on - determined to keep those bigger Snook on the hook,getting them off is easier too.Got a pair of split ring pliers now so I'll have a go tomorrow - that was before I saw Ranger's advice :huh: