Second home-build attempt

I got bitten by this rod building bug as soon as the first few guides were wrapped on my first attempt (see previous topic) and ordered some more products for another build.The first one was a bottom end of the price range kit because I didn't want to go stupid straight out. Without heading straight to a Loomis, Hastings, or North Fork, I did want to hike it up a notch so I went for a Samurai 2-4kg 7' graphite spin setup with Alconite guides.The blank has a very nice fabric patter through it and is light as anything. The guides are all very well machined and look great. I decided to go for metallic blue and silver wrapping on the guides and (stupidly) I wanted to paint part of the blank. I hoped my job to turn out similar to the blank on a mates flash as Flash Gordon Daiwa Saltist rod which is white for about the top 500mm.After fixing the rear grip, reel seat, and foregrip to the blank I went about the painting side of things. I wanted the colour change to occur underneath a guide wrap so I got out the old ruler & pen, measured out the guides, then masked up the blank where the paint was to stop. I then gave the blank a good wipe-down with metho, let it dry, then gave it 4 light coats of spraypaint. The paint I went for is a flexible spraypaint for vinyl, plastic, etc, and as per the can's instructions I allowed an hour between coats, then more than 24 hours before i even breathed on the thing afterwards.Fast forward about 30 hours... I then set to wrapping the guides & attaching the tip guide. I hadn't yet attached the hook keeper as I haven't decided what to do down the grip end yet in terms of decoration. The only problem arose when my neighbour came to have a look..."Can I pick it up? he says."Sure, but the paint's only been on for a bay and a bit so be careful." I say."Wow, it's nice and light." he says, "And the guides look sh$# hot too!"And then he proceeds to test how "whippy" the thing is by shaking the hell out of it as if it was a fencing foil. Suffice to say, the paint had obviously not cured enough and I now have half a dozen small flake/chip/mark type blemishes on the the nice white blank.After a very light sand and a wipe over, I then resprayed that section of the rod (after masking up elsewhere) with 3 very light coats. This all happened yesterday so the rod is out of reach of anyone shorter than me for the next few days. I'm going to give the paint a few more days to cure a bit more before I head into it any further. I don't know what the moral of the story is but I'm going to try to stick with the semi-painted blank as it looks bloody good in my opinion.Anyhow, I'm done typing, here's a few photos of before the carnage.I'll write up again when I've made some more "progress".Cheers. Posted ImagePosted Image

smallP1000342.jpg

smallP1000344.jpg

Thanks Dubs.The fix-up of the paint problems went fairly well.The chips are all covered up but I've got a couple of masking tape marks but they should come out with some fiddling with some fine paper.Colour preserver will be put on soon, hopefully this arvo thanks to the terrible weather here. Epoxy next, then probably straight inot the 3rd project.Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few coats of colour preserver to the threads, I gave the guide wraps a coat of epoxy...then...my first attempt at marbled epoxy: Posted Image The hook keeper was wrapped on with a bit of white thread then epoxied over with white, blue and black epoxy, with a bit of pushing and pulling I managed to make it look like a dogs breakfast.I'll let it calm down for a while then give it a clean up and a few coats of epoxy over all the others then it should be tickitty-boo.Cheers.

smallP1000406.jpg

thefunkychicken wrote:

After a few coats of colour preserver to the threads, I gave the guide wraps a coat of epoxy...then...my first attempt at marbled epoxy: Posted Image The hook keeper was wrapped on with a bit of white thread then epoxied over with white, blue and black epoxy, with a bit of pushing and pulling I managed to make it look like a dogs breakfast.I'll let it calm down for a while then give it a clean up and a few coats of epoxy over all the others then it should be tickitty-boo.Cheers.

looking fantastic... what paint did you use, and is it mixed with the thread epoxy?