Guest davidm#2

ive been told that some car mechanics use some lead thing to balance their tyres, and once theyve been used they cant use them again. so u might be able to try that, not sure if they would sell it to u tho.cheers

shagging wrote:

Try bob jane tmarts or any tire place should give it too ya! :)

Unfortunately they don't give old balance weights away any longer. I make sinkers for local tackle shops and a 22 litre drum anout 3/4 filled costs me $40 - $50. Despite the loss of the metal clips and the weights that are not made of lead, it is still a viable proposition as far as I am concerned. But if you only want a few kgs you need to get there shortly after a full drum has been sold.

few years ago, part of my job was to make lead hammers....we would melt 100kg of pure lead, then mix in some white metal...luckily the forman at the time was also a fisho, so as long as he got a few weights, he didnt mind if we made some...only the waste lead was used that came from the old lead hammers which were flattened out, and had to be melted off to allow the new stuff to go on.then we found out just how bad it is to melt lead, for your health, and they contracted the job to an outside place...so if you manage to get hold of some lead, dont be sticking a saucepan on the wifes stove and going for it...OUTSIDE, with plenty of airflow, and even go so far as wearing a mask to reduce the fumes... its not nice stuff when melted.