What type of line for snapper

Gday Midcoaster,Anything between 20-30lb is fine.Braid or Mono depends if you will be fishing any deep drops ie 30plus meters with strong current? If you are fishing deep drops with current, then I strongly reccomend braid. But bear in mind that it takes a while to learn to use braid ie knot tying can be difficult in rough seas or in the dark. You also feel every take with braid.I have 20lb braid on my Shimano Tekota overhead and fish 30odd metres and have loved it. My overhead does have levelwind though!If you do decide on Mono, make sure you buy a good quality mono.Rgds,Brett

Gday.It can also have a bit to do with where you're fishing:If you're bottom bouncing of Adelaide then 30lb should do you well but if you're heading to Jurassic Park or around the bottom of the EP or KI then 50lb might be better in case you run into a dirty great big groper or something.Also, if you go for a heavier line it might be a bit more useful for shark fishing off beaches, jetties, or boats if you're into that sort of thing.There's pros & cons of heavy line and ups & downs of lighter line, it's a pay-off and you don't get anything for nothing. You've jsut gotta get your ideas together about what suits your personal style of fishing. I'm not saying that 20 to 30lb line won't pull in MASSIVE fish, it most certainly will, but you've just gotta work out if you're that type of fisherperson.Good luck with it anyhow.Cheers. Tight lines (braids).

Guest SnappaHunta

I personally use 20lb braid mainline and 30lb mono trace. Having said that, I use spin gear rather than overheads.Who it was that said 25lb mono, is probably spot on, if you haven't used braid before it may be a pain in the bum, if I was handed an overhead reel i'd rather it had mono, because I'd be out of comfort zone.Do pick a good mono, I like the VANISH line as it is pretty inexpensive and flourocarbon.Good luck mate

I think fish with whatever line class you're comfortable with, but this can change depending on how desperately you want to land a fish, your own abilities etc I think ;) B)Ill fish for them on 3kilo if Im in the mood, have caugt a few on 6kg, but usually use something in the 20-30lb range when I want to m minimise the chance of dropping a fishDont for get the higher the line class, the less chance you have of a fussy fish taking your line, while on the other side of the equation, the lighter line may get more bites, but may be harder to hook the fish with and more likeley to break too :dry: :blink: :S archerfish wrote:

My best line for snapper is:"What's a nice fish like you doing in a place like this? Would you like to come back to my place and check out my collection of squid?"Cheersarcherfish :laugh:

So how many snapper have you caught with that little gem then :huh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hey mate Dont mind chasing a few reds my self, I would match my line to your reel and rod depending on age of the reel most peen over heads will give you somewhere around 5kg so 50lb will be a bit of a waste of time and matching your line to your rods rating would be a good idea to.If your rod is 10kgs then fish up to 10kg line, they used to say fish your drag at a 3rd of its breaking strain.I now fish with my whiting gear and landing fish over 7kgs, started on the 6lb but its a bit tough so jumped 2 8lb on a 2500 exceller plus and a custom built stick.Like a few others have said fish to what your comfortable fishing.Tight lines