3rd and 4th home-build attempts.

Gday all.After the first 2 home-build attempts, I've been pretty pleased with the results.http://www.strikehook.com/forum/35-bait-a-tackle/101934-first-home-build-attempthttp://www.strikehook.com/forum/35-bait-a-tackle/104046-second-home-build-attemptThe first one (cheapie glass rod) casts a slug pretty well, I haven't loaded it up on a fish yet but I did give it a simulated test. I whacked a reel on it, threaded the line through the guides then tied the line to the bull bar via some scales, set my drag appropriately and walked backwards. Nice working curve, no creaking, no cracking around the guide feet so APPARENTLY it should work. I hope the old man likes it.The second has done me a bit better. I took it down to the Pat the other week for a quick flick. I was very happy with how if flicked out a 20g metal slug (almost hit the rocks on the other side), however I was more pleased when 2 bream latched on to a popper I was flicking around. The rod worked well, it's very light and responsive so I'm pretty happy with myself. Score: 2 smallish bream.On to the next ones!A while ago I ordered a decent quality, heavy blank to build another rod for the old boy. Back in WA he fishes, pretty much exclusively, for pelagics while trolling. I went for a St Croix 6'6" 20lb-50lb heavy carbon blank with a pretty fast action. This rod didn't come with any guide spacing info but after a few hours of juggling the guides around and testing the working curve I was happy with their positioning. I did all the underbinds and the hook-keeper first, then got onto wrapping the guides, using a similar colour scheme to the other one but with a slight difference reflecting the little bit more practice I have accrued in binding guides. Here it is... Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageHome build attempt number four is another Samurai light flick stick: Samurai S002X 7' with Fuji Alconites and cork grips. I'm only in the early stages of this one but given there's no underbinding and stuff-all thread work on the overbinds it shouldn't take long to get well and truly underway. Colour scheme: Posted Image I'll post up again later with some more photos of my progress. Work has their teeth sunk deep in to me for the next week or so, so there'll be a bit of a haitus for a while.Anyhow, have a squiz af the pics. Any and all comments & criticisms are enthusiastically welcomed.Cheers. Tight threads.

smallP1000960.jpg

smallP1000961.jpg

smallP1000959.jpg

smallP1000941.jpg

smallp1000940.jpg

That St Croix stick not only looks great (I really like the blue you chose), :):) but it should aslo be a fantastic performing blank! St Croix has long been a favourite in the USA.Can you let me know via PM one day on how it performs. Im interested in a lighter graphite stick for snapper. Did you see any blanks in the 6-10kilo range.If so what price do these blanks cost??? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Dad's rod is now finished.Got home from work this morning, had a camp for a few hours, went and had a couple of cold ones with some mates at a footy game then returned home.When I was happy that I'd shaved off a few scummy tails and warts and prepared the rod to its nice last finish, I set up the BBQ rotisserie and got the epoxy ready for the final coat. It's had a couple already a few weeks ago, but not wanting to rush things I waited until work was over so I could make the last coat look the best that I'm capable of. I took my time putting it on then left it to spin itself stupid for a few hours while I attempted to spin myself stupid out of night shift hours with some liquid refreshement at the Highway with a couple of mates.I got home and was pretty pleased with the epoxy results.I decided early on during my first home-build attempt that it was going to be given to my Dad, just as a present (he likes my homebrew, so what the hell, maybe he'll like my fishing rods). The first one turned out pretty nicely. I've put a reel and some weight on it and it casts and retrieves well enough. I havent done so with this one yet but will in a few days. With the little bit of learning I've done since the first home-build I was able to "tart" this one up a bit and use better components, I'm quietly confident that it'll do the job.My father has just very recently retired after some 39 years with his employer, these rods are his retirement present from me. They are only my first and third attempts at home-building but I think they will be an OK gift for my dear Dad. I can only hope they work to his satisfaction and catch him some fish.The old boy has done nothing but given me the best of everything he could so I've built him the best rod I could. It's a bummer about getting older: you start to realise that your parents are getting older too.Strewth! I've gotten all overwhelmed by sentamentality and what not! Here's a couple of photos, any comments and/or criticisms are warmly welcomed. (please excuse the orange airbrushing on the rod decal, my oldies are fairly private people).Cheers. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

smallP1000962.jpg

smallP1000964.jpg

smallP1000963.jpg