A new chapter in the big book of fishing

Went out for my first flick with the fly rod down westlakes with brooksey this morning, and im addicted to the sport already! Ive bought a few flies off ebay. I manged 1 little bream about 15-20cm and lost one, brooksey got busted aswell (2lb. leader), if theres any tips u guys can handball on, not asking ya to spoon feed me, just a few useful tips {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifI've searched casting on youtube but cant find anything of good use, nor can i find the knots to use to tie your leader {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif I wont give up!Cheers!

went again this morning, didnt get any bream but had a salmon follow me right up to my feet, I've bought some bread imitations of flies for carp, dunno howd they go for bream though, lost another couple of flies thismorning, seems im down to one now {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif I'll be going again tomorrow morning aswell lol.

Two pound mono lol I'd love to try that .Way to light to start with.start with a 4lb mono and 8lb mono .I use double surgeon knots to join mono to mono and Flyline.Backing I use a knail knot to mono.Will try and get out tomorrow at the lake say hi if you see me.

yea went up to 4lb. fluro carbon today, which end do u fish mickyj? I've been reading some of your posts on the fly fishing section on FSA and noticed you use green flies, they work good in the lake?

They were working great .Last fish I caught on a fly had a green head and a yellow tail. when I added daimond like eyes to the head they worked great even had Squid chasing different coloured flies. i am getting lazy i need to tie more green flies damn footy season {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gifAre the large schools of baitfish still in the lake ?What end do i fish ?Was asked that question on a footy forum by a fly guy who reads my posts on flylife .Got him thinking and now he is trying for Bream {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifThe southern end IMHO has to much boat traffic on the weekends far more than the North end.unless its Dragon boat race day .So I like the northern beaches and if the boats (all types) are out I like should I say this out in the open .When I SETTLED my mind I will tell you {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif That will give evryone a clue {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif.It also depends on the wind .But Settled should give u a clue Are you wading Mullies Chaser ?Because I need to wade when I fish the beaches at the lake to get out amongst the baitfish or over the top of them and the fish.Its to hard to cast at the fish that see you and drives me mad .just like waiting for the salmon to come on the feed .Have not been out for a couple of weeks due to footy arthritis and work .Am allowed to have a quick flick tomorrow morning I do miss the warmer weather re the Bream.It was far easier walking from one seaweed bed to the next and casting and getting hits and fish.But if it was always that easy it would get boring!!I am craving Salmon I found once Highfly introduced me to them its an addiction I can not shake !!!Now i meant to answer this above but your bread flies should work.Every place i read about them they say they work.i have seen Bream go for bread thrown in why not try that and cast your fly out .Dont tell the pruissts that!!CheersAlso been dying to wade the rail bridges at low tide but time is always against me .I used to walk the entire north end beaches but pvc waders mean I drive to one beach and just fish that .I hope the settled clue worked lol

Great stuff MC,Nailing a fish onya first effort, top stuff mate {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifPersonally I never go lighter than 5 / 6 lb leader. 4lb line will getcha more strikes but, Leader cops a hammering, last thing u need is damaged leader giving way onya fluke mullies or monster breamers. Great place to start is counting down before you begin stripping. Trying different depths. Keeping the fly on the bottom completely still can even produce a strike. Great work keep us all posted onya progress, next time take your camera so we can see some piccies {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

Great stuff MC,Nailing a fish onya first effort, top stuff mate {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifPersonally I never go lighter than 5 / 6 lb leader. 4lb line will getcha more strikes but, Leader cops a hammering, last thing u need is damaged leader giving way onya fluke mullies or monster breamers. Great place to start is counting down before you begin stripping. Trying different depths. Keeping the fly on the bottom completely still can even produce a strike. Great work keep us all posted onya progress, next time take your camera so we can see some piccies :D

Don't go heavier than 6 lb chaser the bream wont touch it at 8lb .

Thanks guys, I stick with 4-6lb. leaders, went out on sunday morning and dropped a little bream just wading out on a beach, hoping to go out in a mates boat for abit of fun chasing salmon, any ideas on wot flies to use for them little buggers? {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif Cheers!

If they are feeding on bait fish use a bait fish imitation fly .Or anything with a tail .But as Nick says they will hit anything and if they are hungry all u have do to do is put the fly near them .

geez the price of flies has gone through the window since i started tying my own.Chaser perhaps u should join a club(yes that was mickyj writing that) and learn to tie your own mate .that way you can try new stuff and colours etc .and they are better on your very own fly .Cheers

Speaking of Fly Tying, I was wondering where I could or who could tie a flie for me, if its possible to tie the shape, it would be for impoundment barra (little ones) just a pellet which you feed your fish with, it would have to be a dry flie aswell as they hit the lures, pellets etc. on the surface, any help appreciated. They are basically deer hair flies that are flat on top and bottom and about as round as a 5 cent piece. Black and brown. Cheers!

I've bought some bread imitations of flies for carp, dunno howd they go for bream though,

I recon the bread flys would be perfect for bream in West Lakes. As I always see the locals feed the bream bread scraps.They school up at your feet. & are way to keen fight over & smash the pieces of bread off the surface. Take some bread with ya some time & check it out {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif