how to read SA anglers almanac

Pretty simple and there's an explanation listed in the book if you read it through.Each day is rated by colour (white, light grey, dark grey, black) The darker the colour the better the fishing.The two best fishing times each day are listed (above and below), and these times generally tend to coincide with the high tide.The almanac also provides moon phases.

I have never bothered adjusting for local time. The reason for this is that we are only talking a matter of minutes, and the suggested times in the book are only approximation anyway.There is no exact science to solunar charts, and there is no switch to be flicked as to when the fish come on and go off the chew.Given that the stated feeding times last for an hour, I dont think a coupla minutes difference either way will matter too much, but if you want to be exact, add 10-15 minutes for Adelaide.Dont forget that during daylight saving you DO need to add one hour to the times though (the same as you do for tide times charts), so then your stated 9.11am will become 10.11am, or if you wish to be exact 9.21 will become 10.21am. You would then expect the fish feeding time to last about an hour, which would be from around 10.11am (10.21 exact) to 11.11am (11.21am exact). As you should be fishing at least one hour each side of the tide and the tide will also be around 10.11am, you'll be out fishing from 9.11am (9.21 exact) to 11.11am (11.21 exact), and you'll certainly catch that prime feeding time. The two major feeding times are listed in the almanac, but dont forget there are 4 feeding times a day, so to find the two "minor" feeding times, just add 6 hours. Minor feeding times only last about 1/2 hour.Lots of other things will also affect the fishing though, so you also need to take into account the time of year, the barometric pressure, the winds, the water clarity, the conditions, etc, and always keep a diary. These charts just make up one small part of the overall information, and just because the book says the prime time is 9.11am, that does not mean that if you go out at 9,11am in that day that you will catch fish. Instead what it means is that according to the position of the moon and sun, 9.11am will give you what is about the most predictable chance at catching a fish.I hope I've made that clear. :huh:

i had one of them books... when it says the best fishing, it didnt quite work out like that often enough to prove it worked.... so i wont be buying another one.when the fish are there, they are there....my rock fishing, i will catch more on a dodge tide according to my book keeping.and how many fish are normally caught on a dodge tide? .. but all depends on what the wind is doing for me... if its blowing a gale, im in with a better chance....my bro in law swears by his almanac, so much so, he wont even go if everything is not just right... to me that just destroys the fun of fishing.. even if i dont catch a fish, its better than working or sitting around doing bugger all.do the time, reap the rewards....