Fishing off O'Sullies.

Hi everyone,Just wondering how other people have been doing off O'Sullies? I launched there last weekend and headed for the broken bottom patches off Hallett Cove. Sat there for about 3 hours. Used berley but only managed to land 2 good sized Garfish and a good sized Tommy. There were a few Gar and Tommies around but they weren't interested in taking bait.On another matter, During the week, I saw a couple of guys taking photos of themselves holding up a couple of large Snapper. Unfortunately I was not close enough to say anything, but it is obvious that the ban means nothing to some people. Unfortunately they had left the ramp before I could get back to the wash down pad so I was unable to get any registration details of car, boat or trailer. All I know is it was Fibreglass half cab boat with blue stripes and a white utility possibly an older model Ford). (I was on the Northern Breakwater) I don't think it has been a one-off either because my cousin also saw some guys cleaning Snapper at the ramp on the weekend of the 14th. When he approached them they became abusive and threatening. Not sure if he contacted Pirsa or not. Also, There were scales all over the ramp on Friday arvo.Anyway, hopefully there will be good weather this week so we can get amongst them again and maybe catch a few this time.Have Fun,B214.

Thats the problem with the Ban Boyington, unless you look for the information its really not available. The occasional fisherman wouldnt even know about it, I only learnt about the ban when I joined this site (luckily I had never caught a snapper anyway) Boat Ramps should have signs posted during the ban period to let people who may be ignorant of the law aware of them.

it is frustrating. i just wish i knew where to fish for the snapper. i dont get to go out to often but iam looking foward to finding some grounds to fish for snapper next month. all of mine will be catch and release as i dont eat fish. people always aks me why do i love fishing so much but dont eat fish. i guess i just love the feeling you get when you hook one ;)

Good point Skudded. If your not really in the fishing community you may not know about the ban (having said that, if your at the stage where you own a boat i dont think there is an excuse!). Thinking back a few years ago where me and a couple of mates would go up the coast for the night - fishing was just something we would do - getting pissed and playing beach cricket, soccer and swimming were much higher on our to do list. I didnt read any forums, fishing reports and had never walked into a tackle shop in my life. If I caught a snapper off the jetty there during November I probably would have kept it as we wouldnt have known any better? (not that thats an excuse...)

I do agree that there should be signs posted at the ramp, on jetty's and the like. It often makes me wonder why nothing is posted where it can be seen. I I get the impression that it seems to be expected that prospective recreational fishers, like us, check websites and electronic media to obtain this information rather than going to the extent of physically placing notification. As for were to fish for Snapper, I, alas, do not know where exactly to get Snapper down this way. Have had very limited success at the Barges and another ground further south (Rock pinacle on the sounder) but no where near anything to brag about. All I can say is Bring on Tuesday arvo.Keep on Fishin'B214

I agree about the signs this is a good idea to have them placed at ramps and jetties.surely though if you have a boat ....you are usually in the loop about whats going on bans,fish sizes etc...I really doubt there would be many boat owners out there that wouldnt know....unless you are brand new to it.......still if it were me purchasing my first boat i would make it my business to find out the rules/laws etc in regards to fishing...as you do when getting a boat license.

I also agree with the signs at ramps,jettys etc. I also think that the people that run the boat ramps should be made to tell everyone about the bans on snapper.. I cant belive some people they think its all right for them to be the only people that can take them.. Lets hope they get "BUSTED" and loose some of there prize toys....:angry:

been fishing all me life and not once have i seen or been approached by fisheries officers, that right there is the problem... their a bit like aliens or ghosts, people claim they no someone who has been in contact with em but have never really seen em themselves! not much of a deterent if u ask me!!

snake - yeah, it`s a crock indeed...We go boat fishing North coast of KI once/twice a year - there you are virually guaranteed to have a fisheries boat come alongside once a trip.You do tend to wonder where their priorities lie, all they need is to read sites like this (and I`m sure they do) to be aware of undersize and overlimit fish and crab shenanigans on metro jetties, to know where to get some "action". Not to mention metro boat launching areas and boat ramps to inspect boats just retrieved (like the snapper story earlier).Just unbelievable :angry: A couple of boys in blue in the vicinity would prevent any physical aggro if that is what they are worried about...would love to see a blitz on a metro jetty one warm summer evening, reckon there`d be a lot of "no speak English" and walking off the jetty leaving behind ("is not mine, mate") buckets of undersize crabs and drop nets with red meat bait ;)