catch and kill charters

Was just reading an article in a recent fishing mag about charter boats around Lord Howe Island having a strict catch and kill policy with no catch and release allowed.. can't believe this crap still occurs in this day and age when fish stocks are struggling!! i would prefer to not go fishing if thats the case... apparently they sell whatever is caught mainly big breeding kingies!! hope theres no charters using this practice in South OZ! any thoughts on this topic?

Honestly mate... find it hard to believe. Seen a few fishing dvds filmed around there and they are releasing plenty of kingies....they certainly aren't short a few over there. One of the draw cards to Lord Howe is even being able to hand feed kingies from the protected beach they have so yeah.. bit hard to swollow. Sad if it is true though

Could be wrong, but under the impression that a charters can't double hat as a commercial fishing boat if clients are on board. I have heard that they can hold a commercial licence to fish the seasons etc pro one day, charter the next.. but to take a client out, keep everything and sell their catch..hhhmmmm, smells a bit fishy.

Could be wrong' date=' but under the impression that a charters can't double hat as a commercial fishing boat if clients are on board. I have heard that they can hold a commercial licence to fish the seasons etc pro one day, charter the next.. but to take a client out, keep everything and sell their catch..hhhmmmm, smells a bit fishy.[/quote']Thats pretty much my understanding from the Charters Ive been on also Jagger.If its been "reported" in a national magazine that they sell their catch when they're not licenced to, I can see them geting in a spot of bother :huh::blink:

maybe they mean once you have caught your quota, then stop practicing "catch & release"we went on a charter with Whyalla Fishing Adventures a few years ago. when we caught our boat limit of snapper, the skipper tried to get us onto some ruggers.after a couple more 75 cm+ snapper were hooked (and released still in the water by the skipper) he moved location.Posted ImageSteve Storic will always have my respect after that ;) ;)

maybe they mean once you have caught your quota' date=' then stop practicing "catch & release"we went on a charter with Whyalla Fishing Adventures a few years ago. when we caught our boat limit of snapper, the skipper tried to get us onto some ruggers.after a couple more 75 cm+ snapper were hooked (and released still in the water by the skipper) he moved location.[img']http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/ricknank/whyalla/26.jpg[/img]Steve Storic will always have my respect after that ;) ;)

I believe thats what they did on mad keen charter recently. Some members from this forum should be able to clarify that.

I spent a month on Lord Howe Island a few years back.Due to the island's isolation, the Charter Operators hold a commercial liscence to sell the catch.You are allowed to take enough for a feed and the rest of the days catch is the property of the boat. The fresh fish are processed daily and sold to all the resorts and residents and the general store.The scraps are fed daily to the kingfish on Neds Beach

Spot on, Kelvin...snake, check out the "CONDITIONS for all boats" paragraph at the bottom of this web page:http://www.fishinglordhoweisland.com.au/thefleet.htmWas over there myself a few years back - it's a magical place (and it's only a 2 hour flight from either Sydney or Brisbane).See:http://www.lordhoweisland.info/Cheersarcherfish