saltist lw 50 ha or tekota 700 for snapper opinion

gday guys im looking for a better levelwind overhead reel than my abu 7000 to use for snapper kings small sharks im un decided between a diawa saltist 50 ha or a shimano tekota 700whats your opinionhigh speed or low with the saltisthow much 50lb braid do they holdwhich one would you buy and whythanks

Saltist 40 wil be ample, i use the Saltist 30T for snaps and i run a Saltiga 30T for big kings with a carbontex upgraded drag all standard speed........ A 30T would suit what your fishing for loaded with 30lb Fins braid and up ya braid when fishing for big kings to say 50 or 60lb tuffline xp and maybe upgrade the drag B) ..

For snapper and small sharks I actually saved my cash and just use a little Charter Special lever drag. Cheap, effective and pretty bulletproof!Posted ImageKings are another story though! Just through personal preference for the Shimano overheads I'd be choosing the Tekota.As Kings will fight dirty and run towards the boat, if choosing the Saltist even though low speed will provide the cranking power, I'd personally be going high speed to take up that slack fast!ps: can someone quickly grab that rod in the background for me, I'm on again! ;)

Saltist 30T standard speed would be the go.You can fit easy 300m of 50lb braid + wind on for kings, you don't want a lot of line out on a big king anyway. Trust me I've learned the hard way :angry:For snaps you don't need a heavy duty setup, I've used the above for shits and giggles on big snaps and it was a bit too easy but useable.

been using a tekota 600 for snaps for years smooth drag and good line capacity easily stops a big red and the unwanted bottom dwelling rays and other assorted crap endured with a deep water fishB)

I could not recommend the Tekota's highly enough.The Tekota I owned never missed a beat and still performs as new after quite a few big fish.Tekota is definately a product that Shimano should be proud of.Definately the nicest Overhead ive ever owned.In my opinion they are truely sensational.

if you have to go an overhead mwilson is on the money.to actually answer your question as far as saltist vs tekota, saltist is all metal so won't feel as nice but is definitely the better reel in the long run. im going to get another sensor surf and a saltist 30t for throwing metals at mullies (cast further than a spinner, no cut fingers with braid and easier to take apart and flush after being dunked). there are tonnes of glowing reviews of them on an american website called stripers online, check that out as blokes on there have extensively reviewed and thrashed almost every surf/large spin/overhead you can think of.

tekota ,saltist,calcutta 700 all great for snapper.saltist 30t is good for kings aswell and calcutta700 not bad for them either.caught a 51lb and 44lb king on calcutta 700 with out any dramas at all.I like my calcuttas and been using them for 10yrs so i would say get one of them.but wont go wrong with the others either.And mwilson you did learn the hard way but seriously that was a friggin animal of a king,but in saying that WHYALLA BRAD would of scull dragged that fish in haha

• 3 weeks later...