Guest Butters

Seen that article aswell.. presents the bait quiet nicely for a finiky squid..Still dont think bennyboy would be able to get a squid with one of them though.. haha {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

Seen that article aswell.. presents the bait quiet nicely for a finiky squid..Still dont think bennyboy would be able to get a squid with one of them though.. haha {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

ouch! lookout!here....cop another load Im pretty sure its the jag mate {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif They look pretty good jonesy...Should work a treat {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif size=455http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/c0anilXx__index.jpg[/img]

Was lucky enough to try one as a preview to going on sale and they are the goods. Caught us many good sized squid up at Hughes recently. Basically a wire jag but without the big circle of hooks at the bottom, which so often will stop a squid from attacking it. The squid witch has fewer hooks on it and presents the fish in a much more natural way. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Also has 2 side prongs parallel to the main stick, which hold the fish on the jag, and stop it from spinning around.

After enquiring about the price of these fantastic little things I can say without revealing the actual price that I belive them to be a fairly priced item. For around the cost of a decent squid jig you can pick on of these up with what im hoping is a lot less of a chance to get it snagged {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif Will hopefully be picking mine up on the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a talk to the Fisheries. The local officers here have had a look at the video of these Gill Hooks and have deemed them to be a hook therefor they are a DEVICE and NOT a Teaser.Teaser Line Maximum permitted 1A teaser line is a baited line without hooks or barbs of any kind, normally used to attract squid. A person must remain within 50 metres of that line at all times when used from a jetty, pier, wharf or breakwater.Devices Rod & Handline FishingEach persom may useup to two rods, ortwo handlines, orone of each.one teaserline when squid fishingEach line may haveup to three hooks attached orup to five hooks joined eye to shank or threaded together. This will be concidered as one hook.You can use these Gill Hooks but once they are in the fish it is not a TEASER.

A teaser line is a baited line without hooks or barbs of any kind, normally used to attract squid. A person must remain within 50 metres of that line at all times when used from a jetty, pier, wharf or breakwater.

I dont doubt thats how it was interpreted Spotter, however i cant agree with the interpretation!Surely the only 'hook' is in the name "gill hook" ! If it was called "gill holder" would it be okay (with fisheries)?I think that because the hook is not designed (or able) to catch fish or squid it should be okay and thus considered a Teaser!oh well.... what do u all think???

I was talking to John the designer of the Gill Hook today and he has called it a Gill Hook knowing that it is a hook.....hence the name HOOK. Some anglers are unaware that is a devise and not a Teaser. We have had samples of these and it was a question that was raised by a customer. We have some on the way and will will inform customers of the correct way to use them. I think they are a good idea but there are fisheries rules and we have to stick to them.Just some clarification to make you all aware.

• 3 years later...

Thread mine alert. :blush: That's really very interesting Spotter. I was looking through some old SA Anglers and came across the article about the SquidWitch and Gill Hook as i was thinking of buying one to try out.Anyone got any new feedback?Is it just an expensive bait jag,(i reckon they're around 17 bills) or is it better?Certainly looks well made and presents the bait nicely.

I bought one when they first came out and lost is on a seal :(But the second one is still going! I love it! You can hardly see it when it is in a tommy but the hooks still sit out proud.Highly rate this! I gave all my old squid pins away, just no need for them! It can be slightly harder to hook the squid but they will attack again and again even if they fall of when you lift them