Certate Hyper Custon Disappointment

My brother has a fairly new certate hyper custom 4000. Think they cost around $800ish.He has 20 pound braid on it. We were fishing out of my boat for snapper and he accidentally hooks an eagle ray. The eagle screams off as they do under about 5kg of drag pressure and totally destroys the certates drag.Daiwa wouldn't come to the party under warranty because its "wear and tear" and for the drag to be totally rebuilt cost around $100. Think it has carbon-tex drag washers now.For a reel that cost that much and is supposedly the ants pants its very disappointing for the drag to be destroyed so easily.Oh well what can you do!

Wow thats crazy to hear. I have one of the older Model Hyper 4000's running 20lb Nitlon, and Ive had it nearly locked up on 8kilo reds pulling like mules fish after fish and never had a problem.I wonder if the problem is specific to just his model(Year 2010).I did have the bail arm roller bearing fall out off my Hyper which was dissapointing too - obvioulsy a loose screw and I also had the handle cap (opposite side to handle) unscrew itself and fall off too.But other than these two small issues, Ive been more than happy with my Hyper.I hope he gets it sorted and gets to enjoy his investmentThe drag on my (I think its an 08 model) is second to none and is as smooth as it comes.

Hey UHFFunny you say about the handle cap unscrewing itself. His certate hyper has done this several times too.You just don't expect these problems with reels of apparent such high quality. Thats why people spend big bucks on them.I have a seagate 3500 and whilst the handle cap has never come off i'm finding myself continually screwing it back up tight.

Hey UHFFunny you say about the handle cap unscrewing itself. His certate hyper has done this several times too.You just don't expect these problems with reels of apparent such high quality. Thats why people spend big bucks on them.I have a seagate 3500 and whilst the handle cap has never come off i'm finding myself continually screwing it back up tight.

My problem is although I clean my reels thouroughly I almost expect not to have to touch them ie not have to service them. But apparently I should have at the least checked the handle cap and checked the screw in the back of the bail arm.But like you I reckon these shouldnt really need to be checked surely.Ive never had any of these issues on any of my other reels. But knowing that I need to check it regurlarly, I will do so in future. You would think these problems would influence my overall love of the reel but no. I still love it. when its under the pump thats when its in its element and you just cant beat em.

Even high quality reels have to be serviced as like any other reel they are full of moving parts than can wear if not serviced and maintained.But i wouldn't expect parts like drag washers to be destroyed so easily.

Did go through tackle shop with warranty or Daiwa diret? I had a prob with a new sol and it was replaced within a week through my tackle shop. I have been told the Daiwa rep is very good and its no skin off his a$$ to replace a defect product I could see a grey area with handle issues but the drag problem is not good enough at all

That is crap, whats it actually saying about there components, most washers are reasonably strong and would have a rough breaking point, the force of the drag on the washer can be determined by the maximum pressure created by one part divided by the maximum pressure received by the other, that would give you the washer needed to withhold such events, normally one would increase washer size so a bit of play and extra force wouldn't break the washer, so if you pay big money for your reels, why cant they use this simple maths to make sure they don't break, firstly things lasting for ever don't create employment and secondly it costs money to do thisOffice of consumer affairs hold an expectation of life for products not always the same as manufactures, its worth a look and maybe get the part replaced :fishing:

Not good enough, but was it an import? If so then thats the cost of it. I have a few top end Daiwas and like UHF I had the roller bearing fail, the pin that holds the handle together fail and a spool bearing fail. All different reels from Sol, Luvias to Saltiga. All of them had their drags changed after a couple of reef trips in 2007-2008 which literally destroyed them. I think I look after them well and they do the job well.Anyway Carbon tex Drag washers are the best. Smooth as silk and give you an extra couple of kilos of pressure.

personally i would've cracked the shits and refused to fork out $100 to have the drag rebuilt. A new $800 odd dollar reel should be able to handle an eagle ray.The reel was taken back to the tackle shop it was purchased from.At the end of the day its all done and dusted now. I'm guessing the carbon tex drag washers are much better quality and this problem won't happen again.You're right Rollas regarding the roller bearings. I don't own a saltiga 6500 expedition but everyone i know who does own one has had to have the roller bearing replaced. I'm told its something to do with the fact that the expedition has two roller bearings whereas all the other saltigas only have one.