Testing-setting drag

the way we used too do it was by tying a loop knot and put it through the hook on a pair of scales and load the pressure you want usually 2/3's of the braking strain from memory,although personally i just go with what feels right at the time.Although it is a good way too check your available drag pressure aswell too know when its time for new washers.MM

I too attach a set of fish weighing sales to the end of the line, and get a friend to hold the scales while I load it up.In the absence of a friend, the scales can be attached to any firm object; door handle, fence post, etc.I set my drag to one third the breaking strain of the line.The Charter Special is no problem, as being a lever drag the drag is preset, and you cannot ever exceed the breaking strain of the line once the drag is set.The Calcutta being a star drag is another issue, as when you then turn the drag up mid fight, you are only estimating and can easily exceed the breaking strain of the line, then it's all over red rover, fish wins.

I've only ever done it on feel and never had a problem... Think you can over analyse things with fishing sometimes...

things do for sure,but this is a basic fundemental ,and should be taught properly right from the start.one third breaking strain of the line through a loaded rod,and or one quarter breaking strain on a straight pull from the spool.when you lose your fish of a lifetime,you'll wish your "sense of feel was better"........or you'd done it properly the first time.....