Maybe this will help explain a few things

This link has an insight into Rec boating statistics in the US.Have a look at the figures and you will see why US boating equipment and fishing tackle is dirt cheap compared to Oz.There participation and expenditure figures are astounding.Compare the number of rec boaties to the total Australian population.With those figures you can make next to nothing per item and still stay in business!http://www.marinebusiness.com.au/news/nmma-releases-recreational-boating-statistical-abstract

Yep, the USA has always been about economies of scale. Still interesting data considering the effects of the GFC and the overall condition of the US economy read "in the dunny".Also look at the cost of boating there, a friend of mine on a US forum picked up a 2004 23ft Bayliner Trophy for $10 grand.

I think most of us know that we can never compete with the OS market due to the sheer volume of sales, and if this is in regards to the eBay thread that's become a 'book' of complaints, I think the real issue there isn't so much 'cost' of items as it is the lack of service people feel their getting from certain stores.As I said myself, I am a mad online shopper because I just love a bargain, but when I want decent product I'll buy local because when I shop at my tackle store, I get butt-loads of help, which for a newbie is priceless, so even though I know I could have saved quite a lot of money on what I've purchased and am planning to purchase, I will still buy and support local :)I've also offered to help with my web development business to get some of these online so they too can grab a piece of the pie, but haven't had thrilling responses. Maybe our locals really aren't phased by the online giants?