Baiting up live squid

Wouldnt be using those hooks or hook placement chasing kings bear necesss get yourself atleast a quality 50 lb setup some 8/0 to 10/0 mustad hoodlum hooks 2 metres of jinkai trace between 60+100lb a good quality swivel tie a balloon of this with like 2 lb trace so you can snap it off when the kings show up to kick it in to natural mode constantly berley try and get some fish in your trail then place your bait amongst it.Yes yo can put a hook in a squids head pin just through the flesh behind the eyeballs so there is plenty of gape.Good luck tried and proven hows that for a spoon feed. ;)

Mate I use 2x gamakatsu livebait 9/0 hooks normally spaced around 15cms apart on about 120 - 150lb jinkai. I put the top hook through the tip of the squid from bottom to top about 1cm down and either leave the bottom hook swinging or place it through the flap wherever it fits...Have caught kings up to 65lb like this so it works for me :fishing:

funny you should be asking this question, i have an artical that goes in depth of how i bait my squid gar and live trouties for big fish in the next wild coast mag. it should be a good read for ya and i hope it helps many others too. In the artical i dont profess its right in anyway but these are tips and tecniques that work for me..... but anyway i place one hook in the tail 1cm in also like w.brad but my second hook is placed in the squirter under the squids head. it leavs so much hook piont out and never fouls up. works for me on fish uop to 27kilo,. :boat:

Hey Bear gryllcessity,Just wanted to add a wee bit more about this for ya, I have caught 7 big (over 15kg) kingfish on live squid baits, and all seven have been hooked on the top hook (the one in the squids bum) with the other hook taking hold in the gill or flank of the fish somewhere. I run a Penn Inter 50 vsw with 37kg(now) but basically 50lb setup and fish with a rod bucket and back harness sometimes. I preset my strike drag to around 9kg and from hookup to landing the fish it is non stop fight but the biggest king I have caught of 65lb took just 6 minutes or so on this gear worked hard.Kings around 40lb have been bowled over in less than 3 minutes yet one I got with "simon1" of about 8kg took similar time yet the fish would've been lucky to hit 8kg???????????????????????The reason I use gama livebait 9/0's and not 10/0's (or mustad hoodlums) is the finer gauge but still super strong hook, well able to cope with sundet drag on 24kg tackle. My first 2 big kings were caught on 24kg and finer gauge gama octopus 7/0's but after a mate caught a 14kg king on 24kg with me and bending a gama octopus 7/0 nearly 45 degrees I changed hook pattern. The hook thickness thing probably comes from originally using mustad hoodlums and never getting a bite compared to catching fish on the finer wire, whether this is the reason I caught these fish I do not know. I fished a whole year (probably 40 dedicated days) with 250lb leader and didn't get a bit so next year I changed back down to 120 and caught 4 in 6 weeks. Dunno if it was luck or line size but it worked for me......Good Luck and can't wait to see some photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I have fished rapid head twice for kings for no luck but have caught them at cape jaffa and victor harbor as well so persistence will pay off.

spewing i just typed out a reply and my computer froze!! cheers to the blokes that have put in the hard yards and taken the time to share what they have learned. brad are you downrigging or ballooning/drifting baits? i hear a lot that 4kg of drag is as a rule of thumb more than enough, that if a big fish wants to head for cover it will get there anyway and that heavier drag just makes them angrier. do any of you guys free spool charging fish or just lock up? there has to be something in that a lot of people still run 24kg+ tackle fishing 8kg plus of strike drag and don't muck around...cheers again to those that have taken the time to reply.

matt..... Great question....I have watched and read all about freespooling tough fish but on my tackle and tactics if they go for cover I go to sunset and pull back, licke I say my syrike drag is 8-9kg on the inter (about 10.5kg if pulled super quick and sunset seems to be 13 -14kg or up to 16kg if pulled/run away with quickly (ie...like a violent fish giving a headshake)And my biggies have all come from ballooned baits or unweighted...mates, such as gary_glitter have successfully used their downriggers. My 24kg or now 37kg outfit, has a 20-30ft windon (tied myself), to a swivel and a meter of 120-150lb nylon trace with the hooks. this way I can control and land a fish boatside with ease by myself due to the nature of the rig. I tend to tie about a 6lb line ballon trace onto my mainline say 6-10ft above the swivel so the bait has a LOT of leeway as to how deep it is, I have had live squid jump vertically up to 6ft out of the water escaping a marauding king but this is not common. Most of my big kings have been nothing more than a bent rod and howling reel (left in gear with around 2kg drag) unseen attacks, when i've seen kings chase my bait they seem to give up after a few seconds and nothing more has come of it!!!!!!!!!

haha heard of that happening too, advantage of down rigging i guess. keep them down where they can be eaten. I'll be taking two set ups, one with livey and another rigged ready to throw dead bait if they bust up.as far as free spooling I have found it to work with other fish (bream, snapper etc) but found that more often than not they will still head into the structure, then chill before changing direction and swimming out of it. only problem there is if they have already wrapped you around something and come out the other side (i.e a ledge or chain) then you are buggered anyway. dunno how kings behave in comparison, reading up on some threads from guys land based in nz they all swear by free spooling when fish head at them or nearby outcrops. i read a write up on augusta where blokes dropped down to 60lb to get hook ups on finicky peak season fish, and noted they hooked heaps more. most people I've talked to reckon thats suicide but being my first season chasing them i'm not expecting much and will honestly be stoked just to hook one so 80lb might be the go.cheers again