Hey Luke,I've got a couple of Silstar Crystal Power Tips (5'6") and they're an awesome mid-range rod. On the first one I acquired (from a fellow Strike Hooker I might add), has so far been responsible for the down fall of an 8kg Red. The rod handled extremely well. I don't think you'll have any trouble with it. And it was the right price!!!! :laugh:

depends what you want to do with it. Surf: Probably a 6000 size Daiwa or similar unless you're going to use it to chuck lures. Then I would be thinking somewhere around the 4500 size. 4000 - 4500 size for Jetty / Rock would be my thoughts. There are quite a few decent reels around these days for a fair price but it all comes back to what you want to use it for and what your budget is.

My first snapper rods were Silstar Powertips around the 6"6 to 7" in length, and boy did I love them, they are faultless performers with good sensitivity in the tips and power to burn in the butt section.You will love it mate!In fact a rod like that for the surf is ideal, as like people before me have said, you can bash em around a fair bit in the car as they are so robust and forgiving.Enjoy it mate. It will handle some big fish too. :woohoo: :woohoo: If you had to pick an old school glass rod, there is a couple that spring to my mind and that is the Powertips/Crystal tips, Ugly sticks and Sabres. All hold there own even to this day when there is a plethera of lighter graphite sticks on the market.

• 2 weeks later...