Alright the bream are quiet in winter, and it seems the salmon are the go.So time to get a salmon combo.Probably looking to spend no more than $200 on an initial set up, if I get into it I can upgrade later and have the combo I am looking at buying now as a backup, or for the missus to use.With this in mind, a threadline reel would be what I am after as teaching the missus to use an overhead wouldn't be practical.Suggestions please :)

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer.Land based, and as it will be my first time chasing them I will be trying bait and lure.As I said this will be more of a learner outfit until I find the style, and places, that suit me the best, then I will upgrade to appropriate gear. The combo I am looking at now will then be a back up/loaner.

go for a 4120 blank, and a 4000ish sized spinning reel. braid is a massive advantage when chasing salmon, as it will make long casts way easier. as far as rods go i'd have to recommend the wilson's, as they are tough, relatively light and not too pricey. also, the daiwa heartlands feel pretty good, and are well worth looking at. reel wise its hard to go past the daiwas, and an exceller is probably a good starting point. that said, the new abu cardinals are competitively priced, are built tough and are really good value for money. you're best bet is going into a shop, matching things up and seeing what feels good. *cough Adelaide Bait and Tackle cough*hope this helps, matt. :icon_e_biggrin: