Well i didnt no that!!

Been fishing at Port Noarlunga Jetty for the last 25 years of my life. I dont like crabs so ive never worried about crabbing much in my life, but my Girlfriend of 2 years loves crabs so weve bought a few nets of late and went down for some fishing n crabbing with a few mates. I was wondering why people were looking at me while ditching the crab net out, it wasnt until a nice man came up to me and said its illegal to use a crab net from the Jetty. I was stunned, i said what do u mean, he said u cant crab from this jetty there is a sign telling u that at the start of the Jetty. I packed up the net immediately and we walked down to look at the sign, we couldnt see one saying no crabbing, just the usual, no dogs, no jumping, no drinking etc. It wasnt until we left for the night that we noticed a very faded and very unreadable sign painted on the ground which said something about crabs. Man if i woulda got done by fisheries last night i woulda been spewing as i was completely innocent not knowing and there sign on the ground is very unreadable they woulda had a fight in court on there hands, i always obey fishing rules but this sign is simply not good enough!!!Anyway after 25 years of fishing there i never knew this lol

that sign was faded away a few years ago when i used to fish there regularly. but it was resprayed so it was visible, guess its worn away again. took a net with me a while back after loosing some big fish that i wanted to keep but couldn't lift them up, the locals eyed my net like it was a loaded weapon but i just had it to land the fish i kept on loosing. simple mistake you made so its good you didn't get caught out for it. people are always fishing past the 'no fishing zone' and never get caught :angry: hope you and girlfriend had a good day out there anyways.

Yeah the sign really needs respraying badly, jeeze youd really think after fishing there for that long i woulda seen it, LOL. its weird that its an aquatic reserve there, but you can still fish there??? Crabs are prolific, more than fish id say, weird that you can catch fish but not crabs????

i also take the crab net for a landing net most of the time. its the times u dont take it u get the fish u need it for haha but thats another story. i always have to fill people in on this info because i fish there a fair bit and i always get people tellin me no thats just at the end of the jetty because there is a sign saying "no fishing or crab netting beyond this point" so maybe they need to put a sign up saying no crabbing on the wholke jetty to stop the confusion with new fisherman who are just after some crabs but dont know the rules yet. cheers ntp