yeah I live in glengowrie and my sons childcare/kindy is in Kibby ave next to the concrete drain that is sturt creek.Spotted some huge carp there a couple years ago and took the boys down and this is where my eldest caught his first fish.Unfortunately about 2 years ago a big rain after a sustained drought saw the water turn black from runoff and it became a putrid mess of dead floating carp.Made the papers and the holdfast council spent the money and cleaned it up.Don't know if any survived but there sure was a lot of dead Crap(sic).I often wonder weather the carp that washed over the pat weir and end up out the Barcoo outlet helped berley up the Whites that were responsible for that young fellas death at west beach a few years back.

I have always wondered what would be in the big body of water near the airport as you travel along Tapleys Hill Road... is it Fresh or Saltwater there?! Looks like a decent carp spot, would be funny to go carp fishing with bread and end up pulling in a bream! :clap: Also I never knew that there was any fish in the concreted section of the Sturt River... I wonder if anything other than Carp would survive?

Gotta be a million more enjoyable places to have a bit of fun with CRAPS than that stinky noisy spot down there mate :sick: :sick: :sick: Now, Bonython Park, on a lazy sunny Sunday arvo B) Doesn't even matter if you don't catch anything. BBQ's, Benches, play area for the kids, free parking,central to all suburbs, kiosk, toilets and there's even a saucy looking jogger or two every now and then if you get tired looking at the other scenery around you ;)

has anyone fished the sturt river ddown glenelg
No ' date=' but have always wondered what might be in that water around the skate park area on Afrikaines (?) Rd :unsure: Never seen anyone in there so maybe it's off limits or just no fish ?[/quote']Thats the area I was talking about that had the big fish kill a few years back.The upstream side of that weir thing where the pelicans sit is fresh and was full of carp they were right up the concrete drain and for some reason we had more success catching them in the drain bit than the lake. the other side of the weir is salt and we regularly saw carp slowly die before being washed out the barcoo outlet drain.The drain empties not far from where the yuong fella got taken by the white a couple of years back.The creek that runs behind the airport is the bottom reaches of brownhill creek.The two creeks junction next to the skatepark.The barcoo uotlet was designed to flush the stinking stormwater out to sea without affecting the Patowalunga lake which is why the upstream locks were installed.The lake is filled via the bottom locks at high tide ,then the top lock is opened and the salt water flushes the stinking stormwater out to sea via the barcoo outlet pipe under the sewage works.
I've fished at Bonython Park once before' date=' only managed two carp that day, great day though! On the subject of the Sturt River, I wonder what sort of fish would of been in the river prior to the destruction (concreting) of it, this was also prior to Carp taking over everywhere...[/quote']When I was a very young child in the sixties living in Glengowrie the teenagers across the road used to catch trout mostly rainbows on worms behind the Metro drive in Oaklands park in (now a bus depot).The trout and a few silver perch and goldfish were all the way down to the pat and I remember being told by the original proprietor of Bitewell (Anzac Hwy)that the odd trout would turn up in the nets of Mullet fishermen from the pat.Sturt Ck at Darlington had lots of trout back then and was popular spot to fish.This was before the south western drainage scheme which included concreting the drain and destroying the once pristine creek, was installed.Before The man made breakaway creek was dug at West beach on the bottom reaches of the Torrens it split two ways at Lockleys with half also draining to the Pat and the other tributary draining to the Port River via the swamp that was there before West lakes.The remainder of this creek can be seen as a drain, running through the airport before crossing the road and going through the golf course to join the pat also near the skatepark.These two schemes installed years apart helped drain the South Western Suburbs to allow for post war housing.

Wow, thanks alot for sharing that! I feel like im getting a range of mixed emotions reading that, its hard to imagine that the concrete drain did used to be a pristine creek! Imagine catching Rainbow Trout and Silver Perch in Glengowrie! I guess Joni Mitchell summed it up perfectly, They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...