I'm planning a 4wd trip to W.A. next year :woohoo: . I'm going to places like Steep Point, Reef Beach,Quobba Point, Exmouth, Bunbury,Cape le Grand and Carnarvan. I no that these place hold talior, sailfish, snapper, mullies,blue bone,macks and other big game fish. :evil: These are some of the most hard core costlines in the world ranging from 200 meter cliffs to King waves that can kill, most area's are extremely isolated. They have sites to book/invintory you need but I was wanting some first hand advice. Has anyone traveled over to WA and fished some of these area's?What are the must see over there for fishing?I'm going up the WA coast for 8 month plus so I'm planning a year in advance so I don't miss a beat. Any tips would be greatly appricated. :sh:fishing:

Hey,I Got to check out steep point, quobba, carnarvon and wagoe last summer. Unfortunately the weather was really average tho so didn't get to do much fishing. Steep point looked really good, people were getting macks and cobia from December onward and I heard autumn is the best time there. I went with a mate who towed the boat all the way there only to have 30 knot winds prevent us from getting out (spewing). Got to eat a bluebone tho, those things are delicious make sure you try one.Quobba was amazing and I got to chuck a few lures off the rocks but only for a day before the road was flooded again. Even so I hooked and lost a mackeral and saw other macks and tuna so that was pretty cool. Fished carnarvon for a few hours before we had to leave and got absolutely monstered by something that took me straight under the jetty, broke 150 pound trace. Would love to fish that area again.We were planning to head to Exmouth but the roads were closed due to all the water up there so we spent a bit of time at Wagoe. Wagoe was pretty cool, we saw tuna and macks jumping off the rocks each morning, so make sure you take a reel with lots of line because my reel didn't have enough to reach em lol.If I were to do it again i'd probably start the trip in march or April due to the better weather although last year was a freak year weather wise. Also, after speaking to a lot of people Exmouth sounds really good, I was pretty dissapointed that we couldn't get there.James

Here are a few photos. The first is the water off the one mile jetty when I got busted off (the gascoyne river was running hard). The bottom two are of a storm that prevented us getting back to Quobba. Since there was so much moisture around a storm developed every afternoon and the water just kept piling up but apparantely they don't usually have a wet season.Samestorm.jpgStormComing.jpgMuddywateratOneMileJetty.jpg

Nice Pics. I've been told that these place are some of the best landbased fishing spots in the world. I can't .wait till next year and I'm on the road to see the west. I'm a member of fishwreaked.com witch is like strikehook for people in WA and they have been very helpfull. If your heading west check it out. B)

@chuckemback. That pic is of the ocean. The one mile jetty is in front of the gascoyne river mouth and the river was really flowing. It was that colour brown as far as I could see in all directions!@Bass13. You should have a blast, there is definately some awesome country over there. Are you going to try helium balooning? I gave it a crack, had a couple of really good surface strikes but no hook ups unfortunately. It was really exciting way to fish tho can't wait to give it another crack sometime

What differs for normal ballooning to Helium ballooning' date=' does the balloon sit out of the water? Or does the Helium make it more buoyant? This has been in the making for sometime this trip B) , just saving for a new 4wd and 4wd trailer. Cheers for your help Jim :cheer:[/quote']The helium balloon floats above the water, with a long trace and your bait skips across the surface, awesome way to get BIG spanish macks B) Sambo

The guys we stay with in Perth, get up to Steep Point every year religiously in February.They have caught the following up thereSpanish Mackerel, meter plus tailor, Schooling & Shark Mack. Sweetlips, Groper,Longtoms, Bluefin & Stripe Tuna and a Sailfish.Heres a link to the Sailfish they hooked up, Gavin has the 650 Alvey reel on 12' Jarvis Walker rod with the aid of John in the other straw hat.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Vokjv1A_c&feature=shareGav with a Spanish Mack Posted ImageI can PM John's Ph no. if you like B)

Awesome video! The helium is expensive, you can get it from party stores and the like in small bottles and if you have an account with boc you can get a large canister of it which is a bit cheaper. You will have to buy extra large ballons (90cm diameter) to do it properly and they are not cheap either. One tip is not to be stingy with the amount of gas you put in the balloon because it is expensive. If you don't have enough lift to carry your bait out then you will not get the skipping action your after and it will be a waste of time, you can always add more weight if there is too much lift.James