Novice to fly

Hi guys, I'm a bit of a novice to fly fishing but I do intend to purchase a fly rod as soon as I can.The rod will be used for salmon trout, yellowfin whiting, carp, redfin, trout etc.Before I buy the rod, I have a few questions. I understand, the line/ rod weight system and was thinking maybe a 6 or 7 weight rod? Would this be the most versatile or would I need to buy two different rods for freshwater/ saltwater?Which brands make good beginner fly combos, backing, tippets etc?Price range probably between $100-$200 for the combo. I have seen Okuma and Pflueger combos on BCF's website. Are these any good?Thanks fellas.

Hi BB25,I got a Pflueger beginners kit with a 5/6 rod, reel, backing, floating line, and leader included as well as a few fresh water flies. i have found this combo to be terrific, I have used it to learn to cast, and can now cast to an acceptable level, I haven't caught anything on it yet, but that is more my fault than the rod's. I use it in the salt as well as the fresh, but bought a different reel for the salt, so I can have the floating line on the fresh reel, and a sinking line on the salt reel (reels are cheap, I got mine for $19.90 at Fisherman's Paradise and it is a beautygood luck mate, fishing with the fly is great, adds another dimension to the hobby, I am just looking forward to landing my first fly caught fish!cheers,Scotty2

My advice is buy the best setup you can afford as trying to learn how to cast with the wrong setup will be that frustrating that like most people you will give it away. Using good gear doesn't make you a better caster but it allows you to feel what's going on better and you will learn faster that way aswell.The best thing to do before you buy your first outfit is to go and get some lessons from someone who can cast, preferably a certified instructor but if not there are lots of people out there and in clubs that can pass on knowledge to you.Good luck and enjoy it as it's a good alternative to sitting there soaking a bait.Cheers Darren

What fishnuts said. The problem here is there is no "local shop" that can really help you, just the one store that even stocks fly gear worth looking at. Interstate , shops have rigged up demo rods for you to try to see what you like a "try before you buy" system. I would take your time speak to as many people you can that own fly rods and keep saving that money. The more people you know the more setups to try, the better idea you will get of what you like and want over time. Cheap gear is the death of most people starting out, combine that with no one to give casting tuition in SA and it realy stacks the odds against you.When you have little understanding of how the lines and rods work feel is everything, and cheap gear will only make that worse.And i am speaking from experience.Being a self taught caster and fisher, with cheap crap starting out its a wonder that i even still fish with a fly rod.And once you develop those bad habits gained by not being shown the "right" way to cast it is extremely hard to lose them. Its not all as daunting as it sounds but doing it the smart way will make it easier in the long run.Its all worth it in the end, one fish caught on a fly rod is worth ten on anything else :whistle: If two hundred is your absolute limit for now i would wait and double it to 400, that will at least get you a decent beginners rod with a cheapish reel and line set up.

I work in one of those "local shops" & object to the reference of customers not being helped!!!!!!I'm a fly fisherman & advise can be sort from me in my working hours.YES we have cheaper combo's because most people like to start out that way as sometimes budgets are limited these combos will catch you fish, persistance & practice will make you a better fly fisher as with all aspects fishing & from there you can up grade if you need.Anyhow stay tuned I have been thinking about holding some "FREE" flyfishing tuition in the near future for strikehookers.Just need to get a venue. one spot i have thought about is the onka estuary on a dodge tide!I can be contacted either by PM's or at Gotone stmarys 83744788 (wednesday, thursday & saturday)Joe.

I work in one of those "local shops" & object to the reference of customers not being helped!!!!!!I'm a fly fisherman & advise can be sort from me in my working hours.YES we have cheaper combo's because most people like to start out that way as sometimes budgets are limited these combos will catch you fish' date=' persistance & practice will make you a better fly fisher as with all aspects fishing & from there you can up grade if you need.Anyhow stay tuned I have been thinking about holding some "FREE" flyfishing tuition in the near future for strikehookers.Just need to get a venue. one spot i have thought about is the onka estuary on a dodge tide!I can be contacted either by PM's or at Gotone stmarys 83744788 (wednesday, thursday & saturday)Joe.[/quote']Well done Joe :clap::clap::clap: Cheers Darren

Projoe, that would be a great idea. Back a few years ago when i couldnt tie to save my life[not much has changed] I would pop into that store and top up a few dries before going for a fish in the hills. In fact my favorite little reel for my twig came from the display cabinet in your store over eight years ago, i got it for a bargain and it still works a dream too.