is anyone a member of (SAFFA)?

Hey all....As a very keen fisherman in most area's it was only a matter of time before i picked up a fly rod....i remember my Father got me one when i was about 12 or 13....but if i remember back i was just to young didn't know any knots and all that.But now I'm right into it! got myself a combo and a heap of flies and all the tools.....just need some waders but man they are pricey (simms) i have expensive taste!So Catching trout is what i love and I've only been able to get some small rainbows from a friends dam...and I'm no way ready for casting in over grown rivers it would just be a nightmare, i can not do a roll cast to save myself.Just wondering if any one on here is a member of SAFFA and if i could ask some questions whats it like all the details and stuff......Really wanna go to tassie but its not like i can do that every week and trying to get someone to come with to split the costs are hard.....especially when you say oh i want to be fishing most of the day all of the days I'm there hahhaso yeah whats the scene like in south oz for flyfishing...... cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

We do have SAFFA members here, and from memory I believe "Rollcast" to also be a committee member from the club.Should you fail to get a reply, consider also directing your questions to SAFWAA mambers, as we also have quite a few of them here, who may be able to assist with some advice pertaining to fly fishing and fresh water.

no need to go to tassie straight away :laugh:Large stretche of the Broughton in Spalding are available to fish for a $10 fee - I can PM you the landowner's number if you like. This is stocked by SAFFA and consists of large, deep pools. While its a challenge, there are great fish to be had. The torrens and other 'larger' SA rivers aren't hard for a newbie to cast on. Waders sure do help in the tight creeks - you only need a leader and a few feet of line - not long casts at all. These creeks often only hold quite small fish - see my recent post in freshwater - but stalking even a small trout and watching him sip a dry fly sure is awesome. May I recommend carp if you're after a challenge - will have to be accurate and careful to approach them, but they're a blast on a fly rod. I'm pretty sure a group of SAFFA members do go to NZ/tassie annually - if you joined this club you would likely be able to jump on such a trip. SAFFWA offers some great dams to fish and plenty of trout to be had. We also have a library with a number of fly titles you could find useful. Plenty of fly fishing oppurtunities locally, dont have to go overseas or interstate just yet B) in any event, unless you're forking out cash for a guide - if you can't catch a local lber what hope do you have of getting a much fussier and larger fish out of SA? Cheers

try safwaa.org for the club website - lots of info on thereI would recommend saffa if you are purely fly orientated or safwaa if you like fly lure and bait in both salt and fresh

I must confess to being very "one eyed" about SAFWAA for trout fishing (President last year and Vice Pres the year before) However in one days fishing' date=' with a mate on only [b']one[/b] of SAFWAA's Dams stocked with trout, we caught over 40 trout on bait, lures and Flies! All released again apart from a few for baking up for a good feed.11 of these trout were between 28cms and 38cms.Only yesterday (9/12/11)from a Northern Dam, we took 8 trout with two cracking Browns too nearly a kilo, one of the latter on a hard body and the larger one on a gold bead headed nymph. This trout cleared the water at least a half dozen times trying to escape and fought like its more spectacular cousin the Rainbow trout.Not happy with this we also managed 73 redfin on Sp's and HB's to 600 grms :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: I can't speak for SAFFA but I can say that if you want to have the freedom of fishing for every targetable Native fish and also trout redfin and Carp, AND on any legal method you care to employ.... Well, over to you?PS SAFWAA fees are almost exactly 50% cheaper per year than SAFFA and that's with a recent $20 price increase!
  • 8 months later...