G'day all,I was talking to Yak(AttaknTackleRat) the other week in regards to painting your lures with a texta or nail polish to get the colour you want. But my concern would be that the smell would put the fish off :icon_e_confused:. Have you tried it ??? please give me ya thoughts :icon_e_wink:Cheers :icon_e_biggrin:

Guest undertaker

I've never tried it,so unsure.But,in the "early days" of soft plastics / squidgee's etc,when Starlo and Bushy were on Rex Hunt,they were making their own jig heads by crimping the split shot onto the hook,and "painting them with nail polish".At the time,Rex took the pee out of them pretty badly.Didn't seem to do them any harm a decade down the track!

I paint & colour my lures all the time especially when fishing for trout…. Adding the good old spotted dog pattern ;)….. Never had any problems with smell… seem to catch more fish.. Once the paint or nail polish is set the odour is gone…. I have even repaired hard bodies with hairline cracks from being cast against structure with clear nail polish… although the sister thinks its strange when her nail polish goes missing ???, ill do anything to catch a fish :D.. If you’re still worried about odour from the paint after it is set just add some type of scent to mask it……. I have done a bit of experimenting with model paints on small bream lures to get that colour I want & believe me it is worth the effort…. tight lines.. gyro

painting your lures with a texta or nail polish to get the colour you want............ Have you tried it please give me ya thoughts

I think ya need to talk to Scorpion about that one, coz I've heard he's quite the expert at it! In fact, don't let word get out, but he's responsible for developing the new Stirke Pro range of Stephen Duff specials! ;)

I think ya need to talk to Scorpion about that one, coz I've heard he's quite the expert at it! In fact, don't let word get out, but he's responsible for developing the new Stirke Pro range of Stephen Duff specials!

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: beats painting ya nails, have to ask Princess Grumpy about that one :icon_e_wink: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

i make my own spinners for freshwater stuff , (reddies etc) and use both nail polish , & a a clear varnish ..(posh eh!) and never had any troubles with fish smelling them, they even worked on slimy macks , & salmon trout in the salt, so i guess the answer is no... that or they have a kinky fetish for acetone!

Well I did finally get around to painting a couple of lures, well I didn't, I got Scorpion to sit at the back of the boat and paint them while I fished :P :P :icon_lol: :icon_lol:This is just a base coat just gotta get some colours and add some detail :icon_e_biggrin:On the left, before - On the right, painted size=717http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/JAPPmgS8__Painted_lures.JPG[/img]

Kelvin you sure do like that pilchard pattern! Maybe I'll take note of that! Hmmmm! 8)By the way, has anyone heard yet about the new inclusion in the 2008 Strikepro range? The latest colour is called the SOUTHERN SCORPION, look out for it in ya local tacklestore, and if they haven't got it yet, get em to order it for ya! A guaranteed bream killer! ;)

ranger... any pics available of this new colour...also do you hav any info on who developed this new colour... i heard it was one of our reglar bream comp compeditors..

You heard correctly bloke! It was developed here in SA for SA conditions by one of our very own Bream guru's.Sorry I don't have any pics for ya yet, but ya gotta have faith that if our own Bream boys cant design lures for our local waters and conditions, then no-one can! I've got my order in! ;)My guess is at this early stage of production you're gonna be hearing a whole lot more yet about this Southern Scorpion!
  • 1 month later...

Kelvin you sure do like that pilchard pattern! Maybe I'll take note of that! Hmmmm! 8)

I've just had a flick through some of my lures and I do have a lot of pilchard imitations size=432http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/JEsh9ZTv__DSC01439.JPG[/img] size=432http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/e21DPidL__DSC01437.JPG[/img] size=359http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/58YJqGgy__DSC01438.JPG[/img]