caught this pup a few years ago off outer harbour while chasing hammerheads, it measured spot on 5 feet and weighed 34kg. i fought it for1 hour and 20 minutes on 4kg, and we chased it for over two k's before being subdued. it would have been a state, australian and world record but due to being protected, it was released unharmed! definately something that will forever be etched in my memory! ;D size=140http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/JyXsv3wJ__toddy.gif[/img]

Guest undertaker

Nice shark GI JOE.I have never caught one,but I reckon I got a run from one at Stenhouse Bay a few seasons ago.I had a balloon out about 100m from the end of the jetty,when the 9 / 0 began to growl.As I put the reel into gear from freespool,and the slack was taken from the line and the weight felt,the thing just went into overdrive!Easily stripped another 150m off against 8kg of drag.......then the line parted.Reeling in,and looking at the business end,my 150lb wire trace had been bitten through,about 8inches above where my 10/0's had been. :icon_e_surprised:Never heard of a bronzie doing that. ???I saw a couple of huge sharks.....bigger than 12 feet...... from the boat,back when that dead whale was floating about down South 4 or 5 years ago.....freaky.Also seen a "little fellow".....about the size of the one you caught........cruising around the end of Outer Harbour Breakwater one time about 20 years ago.......was gorging himself on a school of salmon trout we were trying to get.Great creatures.

Guest undertaker

Yeah, I hear there is a few at the end of the outer harbour breakwater, some big some small. I'll have to check it out more once I get a kayak.

:icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised:Looks like a bit more work coming my way...... :icon_lol:
Guest Butters

Yeah, I hear there is a few at the end of the outer harbour breakwater, some big some small. I'll have to check it out more once I get a kayak.

Your a mad man Guru... good to see nothing has changed :)

Nice catch and good account GI Joe, My only experience of shark on light tackle was during a weekend in the 60's off Weymouth beach UK, a group of us fished for Tope (Similar to Schoolies) and I landed a 128lb fish on 12lb mono. It took over an hour, running up and down the beach for about half a mile either way. The four of us caught one each and then we were to knackered to fish anymore. Oh to be young and fit again.Guru, I was in Germain Bay, about four or five years ago, fishing from a mates 13' Quintrex when a big mother eyeballed me so close that I could have leaned out and touched it. It was then that I decided NOT to buy my mates Quintrex, I decided that a bigger boat was required to fish the Gulf. Three days later the shark was found tangled in Harris's pro lines, she had "Drowned" over night, Harris and Tony Amato towed her into Pt Pirie boat ramp to await a crane and truck to take her to SA Uni. She was over 21ft and around one and a half tonnes. It was really sad to see such a majestic creature lying there on the boat ramp. To think that she had probably traveled half way around the world only to get tangled up in a pro fisher's lines in the Spencer Gulf. You are welcome to your kayak mate, a much braver man than I.RogerG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...