snapper reels

for bait fishing id probally go sumfin like a shimano charter special which will handle unwanted speices like rays, and if im using soft plastics id probally go a shimano symetre 4000(strong reel for cranking big fish)or a TD sol3000.good luck on finding a reel $250 is easy enough to put U with a good reel!cheersbrooksy

Salisbury Tackle world will help you.they are over near HoldensI think its still Salisbury Hwy just before it changes to John Rice Avenue at the intersection of Commercial Road.Brooksey' advice looks good to me, but have a look at tackleworld and those Guys will help you for sure.Cheers Ian

It depends what sort of snapper fishing your doing,for most of my deeper work i use a couple of shimano baitrunners 6500,some would say its overkill but i like it that way so i can get them up quicker and get back down while they are on,and in the shallows i like using my abu 6500 as i find it lighter and easier to catch the picky reds on lightly weighted baits.Something in the 4000-4500 range could probably cover both these scenario's but when its deep and the tide is ripping i prefer something like the 6500's to cope with the sinker weight and deal with the shitty by catch quickly. cheers brenton

I'm with Brenton here. I also use a charter special, but not really my fav reel. I love my ABU7000's for my 8-10kg work along with my BTR6500. For my 4-6kg work I use a couple of old Daiwa Millionaires. Sure their old, but they are trustworthy.I think your budget, should get you into some pretty good reels. U need to decide however, if you are going to be using a threadline or an overhead. I'm guessing you already have the rod so grumpy's advice on going into your local tackle store, there are a few in your area, is a good one. This will enable you to put the reels on the rod and see what suits YOU best.

elv, shimano having catalouge sale presently so check where u buy from, but think I've seen charter speacials for under $200 and the BTR6500 as a combo for $229.00 If you are in Salisbury, you have a couple of choices, each should participating stockist, they are Salisbury Tackle world and Spot on Salisbury. Spot on is on main nth rd just nth of the stanbell rd cnr. Cookie @ St Kilda Tackle & Tucker would probably be able to help you out also.Tight lines

i think ur crazy for wanting to spend that much on a snapper reel!But persol opinion i spose, some people just want the best of the best.

I'd hardly suggest these are anywhere near the "best of the best" and I really thought that sorta money was quite a reasonable budget.I go with the general train of thought:Overhead= Shimano Charter Special or Abu 7000Threadline= Shimano BTR 4500 (I think the 6500 is a bit large, heavy and overkill).Any of these three reels are tried, proven and respected. They are all reasonably priced, reliable and will give long service. Dont forget the Shimano's also come with a 10 year warranty!

Overhead= Shimano Charter Special or Abu 7000Threadline= Shimano BTR 4500 (I think the 6500 is a bit large, heavy and overkill).Any of these three reels are tried, proven and respected. They are all reasonably priced, reliable and will give long service. Dont forget the Shimano's also come with a 10 year warranty!

Did I read this correctly? Mr Team Diawa giving shimano a plug?Now ive seen it all ???

abu 7000 is my weopan, matched to an ugly stick .....not that i get a lot of snapper with it,in the 20 plus years ive been fishing in the boat ive landed a total of 1 fish....13.2kg snapper that was the most boring fish in the world to hook...didnt do a damn thing.from hookup to gaff in UNDER 3 minutes....so now i only fish snapper from the rocks.....if you rock fishing for them...nothing will beat an alvey 650C imho....strapped onto a 15 yrs old snyderglas 8 wrap.... not much this combo wont stop,unless its bigger than me ( which has happened a few times.

I have an Abu7000 with a upgraded drag that has caught its fair share of fish. On recent years I've nailed most my fish on a Shimano Tekota 600, which is a absolute blinder of a reel and i highly recommend it. In march this year I landed two fish, at 28 Pounder on My Caldia 4000 and a 24lb on my Tierra 4000. Both with 20lb TD Sensor. Went out that night chasing ruggers, and was suprised to find a school of big fish. Knocked the fish over comfortably and this summer I will be doing most my fishing on this gear. Will only use heavy gear when structure is an issue, eg car bodies!

abu 7000 is my weopan, matched to an ugly stick .....not that i get a lot of snapper with it,in the 20 plus years ive been fishing in the boat ive landed a total of 1 fish....13.2kg snapper that was the most boring fish in the world to hook...didnt do a damn thing.from hookup to gaff in UNDER 3 minutes....so now i only fish snapper from the rocks.....if you rock fishing for them...nothing will beat an alvey 650C imho....strapped onto a 15 yrs old snyderglas 8 wrap.... not much this combo wont stop,unless its bigger than me ( which has happened a few times.

Ahhh yes 650C5 Alvey, 20lb Shneider Line, Butterworth 8144. What an outfit for throwing from the stones. Was a great set up. Bit cumbersome, but could cast em a mile with relatively light weights and salty spray wouldnt hurt em at all. Also easy to clean and maintain. Why did I part with them again ?????

For the price point your lookin at i would recomend a DAIWA SALTIST...1 piece aluminium frame & side plates, infantie reverse, 4 corrosion resistant ball bearings CRBB, machined aluminium spool, digi gear, and comes in 4 sizes to suit th line class u wanna fish 20,30.40,50. plus a 5 year warranty... best thing about these reels ther not jus limited to snapper fishing ther very versitile. plenty of drag pressure to tackle big kingies, mullies etc... chuck it on a jig rod an jig up sum sambos... or wack it on a surf rod an lob a bait out...or go troll up sum tuna..... for the price u cant go past a DAIWA SALTIST... got all the sizes on display at salisbury tackleworld go in an ask to hav a look.... they r more than happy to help & let u have a play with the products...

Overhead= Shimano Charter Special or Abu 7000Threadline= Shimano BTR 4500 (I think the 6500 is a bit large, heavy and overkill).Any of these three reels are tried, proven and respected. They are all reasonably priced, reliable and will give long service. Dont forget the Shimano's also come with a 10 year warranty!

Did I read this correctly? Mr Team Diawa giving shimano a plug?Now ive seen it all ???
You read correctly!I believe when it comes to the small Bream spinning reels, unless you wanna fork out for a Stella, then it's Daiwa or it's nothing, but that doesn't go for ALL reels!I have a healthy respect for much of the Shimano range, including the baitrunners, the Charter Specials/TLD's, and the Calcuttas, amongst others!

You read correctly!I believe when it comes to the small Bream spinning reels, unless you wanna fork out for a Stella, then it's Daiwa or it's nothing, but that doesn't go for ALL reels!I have a healthy respect for much of the Shimano range, including the baitrunners, the Charter Specials/TLD's, and the Calcuttas, amongst others!
Well dip me in honey, and throw me to the girls beach volleyball players.

I have an Abu7000 with a upgraded drag that has caught its fair share of fish. On recent years I've nailed most my fish on a Shimano Tekota 600, which is a absolute blinder of a reel and i highly recommend it. In march this year I landed two fish, at 28 Pounder on My Caldia 4000 and a 24lb on my Tierra 4000. Both with 20lb TD Sensor. Went out that night chasing ruggers, and was suprised to find a school of big fish. Knocked the fish over comfortably and this summer I will be doing most my fishing on this gear. Will only use heavy gear when structure is an issue, eg car bodies!

im with jojo,alot more fun on 3000 to 4000 sized spinning gear. for your price if ya can still find one caldia kix is a good reel $249 if i remember correctly. team daiwa advantage in 3000 is performing well for me at the moment,also stradic 4000 has served me well for the last 4yrs. cheers hope this helps

I have a Caldia kix and love it to death! The choice between eggie and O/H will largely be driven by the type of fishing you do. I have a heap of overheads but nothing fishes unweighted pillies better than the Caldia. But I am fishing pretty shallow water...

i can see a need for o/h in real deep water for line capacity for sure(and brute force) ;D. locally most grounds i fish are 60 feet and under which is fairly shallow so the spin gear is plenty for me ;). but i do use a couple of over heads for slightly heavier applications ;D