After a bit of an absence... three new rods.

Gday.Well it’s been a while since I’ve visited StrikeHook, the last few months have been flat out with work (and a bit of laziness thrown in) which can be both a good and bad thing. I’ve managed to get a line wet a few times but the results have been far from front page news. I have however been able to wrap a couple of threads on a few rods during the occasional late night.I thought I’d better make the Mrs a rod as I was getting a bit of that vibe from her… I wanted something that she will be able to catch Squid, Whiting, Snapper, etc with that will allow a bit of sensitivity but still be strong enough to not break due to accidents or high-sticking. I ended up going for a 6’6” graphite blank rated 12 to 18lb with Pacific Bay guides and a split grip setup for a spin reel. Being for a sheila, I used pink, purple and silver on the thread. I also got her a Baitrunner 2500 with 15lb braid which sits on nicely.11.bsmall.jpg11.csmall.jpg11.asmall.jpgI had two mates give me the old “build me a rod will ya mate”… so I did.Both of them are owners of rods built by me, one a spin rod and the other a batcaster. The one who has the spin rod wanted “pretty much the same thing but flasher” so we lifted his budget a little bit and went for a great blank (pretty much as good as they come) and some more than decent guides and reel seat. The other bloke who has the baitcaster wanted “the same thing exactly but set up for a spin rod”, so that’s what he got.St Croix SCV 6’6” 6-12lb 2piece, Pacific Bay reel seat, Fuji Alconite guides. Finished in an Aussie green and gold style of thing – which I don’t much like myself but that’s exactly what he wanted.12a.small.jpg12.bsmall.jpg12.csmall.jpgMHX 6’6” 8-15lb 2piece. I used the same thread I used on his previous rod so he now has a nice matching pair. A Shimano Stradic 2500 (not Ci4) is going on the rod which will match very nicely.14.bsmall.jpg14.asmall.jpgThe next one in the works is one I’m greedily making for myself: a long and light spin rod to use for Whiting, Squid and Flathead from the beach, rocks or shallows. I should have it finished soon (just in time for bloody summer to be over). Photos of that will come soon - probably about August 2013!Cheers.

Gday.I went for Alconites because they're a bit cheaper than SiC guides and a bit more appropriate for the rods here and there was a budget that my mate wanted to keep in mind.SiC guides are great bits of gear and are superior to Alconites but a bit of overkill on a rugger Snapper and Whiting rod.I'm building a rod for myself when I get a chance here and there (due in June 2016!). I went a bit higher spec both on the blank (St Croix SCV) and Fuji SiC guides (not Titanium SiCs as they can cost around $40 to $50 per guide!). This rod is going to be aimed at Mulloway, Bream and Whiting on light line, where the higher spec guides might show their worth.Cheers.