Fishing at Venus bay

One area i would keep clear of is the entrance when the tide is going out. We almost got ourselves in a fair bit of trouble in my mates little tinny. The water HOOTS through a small area! When the wind is up it gets a bit hairy. If you're targeting tuna i'd assume you're in a bigger boat so probably nothing to worry about :)Other than that the bay is relatively hazard free as far as i know.Avoid the pros on the water if they are around as some are complete w#nkers!

Howdy Mancini,Inside the bay at venus is a big sand bar that is out of the water at low tide but at high tide place some crab nets out there for some nice sand crabs. You need a few of them for a feed but they are oh so good!The only other things to worry out in the bay is the reef. which is clearly marked and stands out like dogs balls so you don't hit it.If head out the entrance it can get a bit hairy getting out if the swells up but once out the back shouldn't be too bad. Just watch out for the swell. Not to sure if there is many tuna running this way at the moment but always worth a troll.The main catches out the back are snapper and nannigai. Only been out there a couple of time so don't really know many spots.But inside the bay numerous amounts of KG whiting, tommies, trevally, salmon trout, snook, flathead and squid.I really love venus bay so peaceful and relaxing.If you want some more advice ask at the general store, caravan park or head over to thr port kenny pub and try and meet some locals.Hope you ebjoy your stayLines tightDyl

Hi Dylthank you for the information it is very much appriciated.i will post some pics upon my return hopefully showing what we have caught but at the very least some of the stunning sea side that I have heard so much about.am def looking forward to the peace and wetting a line.once again thankyouDon :)

ay mateI have looked high and low in the boat, on the lap top and both gps but I cant seem to find the marks. I only had a few but ill try and describe them to you the best I can so bare with me lol.First the bay of Venus bay isnt really that big. It consist of two boat ramps one concrete bottom and the other just of the sheltered beach. I like to section the bay into Four main parts 1# The rock faces, 2# sand bar / reef, 3#Channel around to Port Kenny 4# The Jetty1# The rock faces:This area is the area to the left of the jetty at the concrete boat ramp. The Rock faces basicly run along the edge of the bay running out through the heads ( where the rollers come in ). The bottom is mixed up of broken ground,mainly rocks, sand patches and a few weed lines. I have caught KG whitting, squid ,tommies salmon and the odd flathead throught this area. What to watch out for is dont get to close to the rock faces as it does get shallow quick and the closer you get to the heads be ware of the odd small roller coming into the bay but you will see what I mean when you get there. Like anything be awhere of your surroundings and you will be fine. 2#Sand bar / ReefThis area is best explained on a slight rightish angle about 45 degrees from the end of the jetty. It is out of water on low tide. It is only like 10 mintues from the Concrete boat ramp. This area is almost in the straight line to the heads and there is more of a chance of the smaller rollers coming into this section. Smaller rollers being around 1 to 2 foot nothing more but that is only when the tide, wind and currents are all playing together. I woudnt be to concerned with this just thought id mention it . This area is really good of KG and squid, you will often see a pro boat or two sitting in this area ( usually a open tinny of around 5m with big green or blue eskys on them ) good sign to see the fish are on . 3#The channel around to Port Kenny This is what it states , its the channel and is only marked with sigle posts, its not a big channel so dont adventure to far off the post and there aint a lot of them so take it slow around there. You will cross a large sand bar and basicly it nice white bottoms all the way around so pick a spot , berley up and try . 4# The JettyWell you cant miss this its the Jetty , maybe 2 Prawn Boats around the bend and maybe a smaller cray boat at the TEE. It's quite deep and you could catch just about anything. Beware there may be the reisident seal that will stir up the fish and scare them away. Try using a white piece of fish flesh at night under a light at night around the bend for big snook. Other things to know . People like to launch from the beach i wouldnt reckomend this unless you have a 4x4 and CONFIDENT in using it on the sand pulling a boat. There are areas that become water logged very easy and I have seen a few cars go under trying to get out. Dont park on the beach if you launch from there as the water comes in quite far and covers the entire beach at times . To be safe rather then sorry just use the ramp. Another suggestion for fish is try the Surf Beaches out the back of the township Mount Cammel for medium to big Salmon. When I am over there I hit the bay in the morning and the beaches at dusk. Hope this helps and keep me posted on your catches Wadey

Thanks wady for the information. I ll take care when beach launching as this will be a first for me, the triton and me boat. Thought about using the ramp but I hear it's quite shallow and the thought of scrapping my hull on the concrete is not a sound I want to hear. Truth be told I am looking forward to do a beach launch and starting off in what appears to be fairly protected harbour sounds like the ideal place to start learning these type of skills which I can use else where. Once again thanksCheersDon :)

Give it a look but you shouldn't have any dramas with scraping on the ramp. I've always found it quite short and the trailer always goes beyond the ramp and into the water/sand when launching/retrieving the boat.The water is very shallow there but i heled a bloke launch his 5.5m last time i was there and he just had to go a bit deeper but easy to do :)You'll love the place fella :) Bloody awesome and i keep going back!

Home More News Boating tragedy near Venus BayPDFPrintE-mailFriday, 6 April 2012 1:09pmBoating tragedy near Venus BayOne man has died and the search continues for another man after a boat capsized near the entrance to Venus Bay on the State's West Coast.A third man managed to swim to shore.The deceased man had been rescued from the water and taken to the Streaky Bay hospital but sadly died upon arrival.Police are being assisted by CFS, SES and locals to search for the missing man.Conditions are proving difficult, with winds at 25 to 30 knots and a 5m swell.The police rescue helicopter has flown to the region to help with the search.

travel safe mate!it is how ever 4m swell over there at moment... not your usual days fishing... this is pics taken from shore.. few km up the coast.. . some word class Tow in surfers and teams have been in the area.. these guys are pretty much super stars on the scene.. 2x winner of World Big Wave surfer of the year...photos taken not far from venus bay.. Posted ImagePosted Image

Well fishing in venus was pretty mellow over the weekend due to the tragedy that happened but still got out on the boat sunday afternoon.My goodness there is HEAPS of trevally in the bay! Got about 40 on the boat within an hour but as soon as you got to the bottom the KG's where around.Moved spots after having heaps of fun on the trev's gees they put up a good fight on light gear and fairly decent size too. Yummy smoked fish for tea last night.Headed out to the bay across from the entrance. The swell had dropped HEAPS but the current has still racing and snuck into the corner in about 4 foot of water and got some donkey whiting. no need to measure but caught one that looked way smaller than the rest and it was 35cm! 5 squid to top the day off and on the way home trolled passed the reef and pulled in a couple of 2kg + salmonPlenty of tinnies getting around there at the moment and all getting a feed of whiting but not to many bagging out.The jetty has a good supply of trevally and tommies if you can get through the shitties plus the odd big snook sniffing around too!oh and also reports of tuna busting up out to sea. I don't know where but saw the tuna and the 6 they kept woulda weighed between 15-20kglines tight!