Your setup surf casting

Let’s say you are going to cast out past the breakers and it’s some distance out and you will need to put a decent amount of power into the cast.If placing a heavier nylon leader either on braid or nylon is the knot going to be on the spool or out past the rod tip.

On the spool with several wraps at least. A heavy leader is essential for casting heavy weights and preventing bustoffs, especially power casting (OTG, pendulum).A rough rule if 10lb of leader for every ounce of casting weight.Eg casting 4oz, use a 40lb leader. 6 oz, use 60lbHowever not many rods available off the rack here in Australia have the power for proper power casting.

Depends on the knot and the guides used. I prefer a modified slim beauty knot as the tag end does not catch when casting.I like low rider guides on my surf rods. These help prevent knots catching and line catching on the guides. Other than Salt creek, I like to use braid, with long mono leaders for most of my surf work.If weed is bad I will use mono, but still have 6m or so of heavy mono casting leader.

• 1 month later...

I have been using the PR or Mid knot (google will bring up heaps of good sites with instructions on how to tie this knot) to connect all my leaders to braid for my surf rigs, both egg beaters and overheads. I can only successfully tie these knots on 20lb braid and up, as the knot slips on any braid too thin, but they are brilliant for casting and they don't break. As they are so low profile, there is no chunky knot to bang through the guides, so you can let full on casts rip for as long as your arms last and not be concerned that the main line to leader knot is going to fail and your lure or sinker and bait is going to crack the 100 metre mark unhindered and keep going! As mentioned half a dozen wraps of leader on the spool when casting is the go. Only downside to this knot is that it takes ages (and a cigarette lighter) to tie it properly so not practical to do on the beach.