Does any one know the laws on crab nets?as recently I purchased 4 from a fishing store because the looked good but they are not any old crab net they are a once your in your not getting out sort of crab net a smaller size of what the pro crabbers use!just wondering if any one knows if they are legal and how many can be used?

illegal. you can only use drop nets or hoop nets for crabs.the only entry type net you can use is an Opera House net for yabbies.some tackle stores sell large entry traps, these are intended for private property use only, ie dam full of yabbies. I am assuming this is what you may have purchased, or possibly Opera House nets.put up a picture of what you have bought. could even be a cray pot for all I know :D

This comes up every crab season, how many of which type, do i need to use a float, do i need a tag, can i use chicken :)There's a whole bunch of different designs for crab nets, but drop and hoop nets (or a rake, or on your line, or by hand) are the only permitted devices for catching crabs in SAPIRSA - Permitted Deviceshttp://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/fishing_gear/permitted_devicesPIRSA - Crabshttp://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/target_species/crabsPIRSA - Crab Fishing Brochurehttp://www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/92337/crab_broch_final_jan2009.pdf

Crispy I think you know the ones I am talking about they are sold as crab nets.and I checked out the fisheries web site and couldn't find any of these nets and there not cray pots as I do have cray pots as well.ill put a pic up tomorrow some time and see what ya think of it.unless there meaning mud crabs I don't know.!

Hi dan yea thats the ones i was talking about as fridge/kingsley said ok for property owners i mean there his yabbies but no good for the crabs here ,when i was in north queensland we used to fish for muddies in similar nets that we use all very fine until they drop into the boat :woohoo: then its all onto the seats ,i still remember that idiot tv presenter when he went to airlie beach mud crab festival and he was banging on about there claws how powerful they were in front of the camers ,the inevitable happened it grabbed his finger they had to break of the claw and even then it dont come off he was a bit sore after that ,even the manas can give a nasty bite if you not carefull seen one swim past the boat last year amazing maybe ring the store and ask if you can swap them or get your money back explain what your using them for crispy

If they fit the specs for a legal yabbie pot, ie no more than 2 funnel openings of 7.5cm max diameter, pot diameter max 1m then sure they'd be fine for yabbies. BUT most I've seen of that type have 4 entrances and the openings are larger than 7.5cm.In any case entry traps are totally not ok for crab use, and even if it met the specs above for a legal yabbie pot they would be totally useless for crabs anyway (and still illegal) considering the legal size crab is 11cm caripice they'll have a hard time getting in the 7.5cm opening....tackle shops can sell whatever they want, but should at least ask what you intend to use it for if its not legal to use in the public arena. For instance I know that my local tackle shop sells (or at least has sold in the past) large cage type entry traps, specifically for private property use and i'm sure if Joe Bloggs tried to buy one they would at least ask what they intend to use it for.

thats life nowadays,i have had to rework products from manufacturers that dont measure up to standard refrigeration practice in regards to electrical and system contamination imo anyways.but there still being sold over the counter i had some parts rejected by me only to be told that they were put back on the shelf. :c the enviroment at the end of the day shamefully it boils down to making money,especially when one rep stated just that.time a deception clause was introduced to trading legislation

@ Dan1They are a Mud Crab Trap.They are illegal to use in SA waters.They are not illegal to sell in SA because you may wish to purchase them if you are going away to the states that they are legal to use.We have them in stock as they are advertised in our National Catalogues.You as the user must be aware at all times what you are allowed or not allowed to use.We tell our customers that they are not legal. That is our choice, but if the customer chooses to use them than that is their choice.

Cheers guys for the info very helpful and probably saved me getting a fine and who knows what else.they are a good design and I'd say they would work pretty good as its the same design as what the pro crabber uses out from st Kilda.i just guess they will sit in the shed until I find a use for them.

Just to confirm the confirmation of others…Thanks to Kingsley and Spotter for their information – absolutely correct.As has been said, these crab nets are not legal to use in SA.http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/fishing_gear/permitted_devicesIf you cannot find a device listed in our Permitted Devices – it means that it is not permitted to be used.TroyFisheries Officer

I always wonder, is it legal to take the crab (legal size) that hooked when you fishing for fish?

Yes, as a rod and line is a permitted device. Even though you may not be targetting crabs, you are still permitted to take them, if using standard hook / line rig when fishing for fish.

What about a device that not a net type but look like in this video?

No, that is a device that does not fall under any category of a permitted device.Thanks for the questions.TroyFisheries Officer