Far West Coast Mulloway

Guest Red Bull

The secret is to take "everything you need"......not "everything you want"As GDK said......you'll work it out ;) On a serious note though........personal hygiene is of the utmost importance............a week out in the middle of nowhere with a "stomach problem" isn't that much fun........perhaps rather than soap for wash-up,take some "anti bacterial dis-infectant gel" type stuff.........."Aquim" is a good one B)

From many years of multiweek fishing and camping on the FWC in summer I have learnt a few things the hard way :blush: I don't use poly types tarps anymore as they are useless. I use the heavy duty shade cloth types as the wind passes through them (cooling) and as they don't catch the wind as much the eyelets don't rip out. I use good qualtiy alloy extendable poles as they don't rust. I aslo make small plates out of marine ply for bases for any poles for shade.As soon as it gets offshore the flies are ridiculous. Some sort of fly proof shelter to eat in. I'm a fan of quickshades now and found them very durable. I always take a portable am radio for tuning into the ABC for weather reports. I have found them very accurate in Summer. If it is going to be offshore and above about 37 deg I personally set up shade on the beach the evening or before dawn on the day. It is hard to do with 20+ knots of northerly and every orifice of your body full of flies @ 40+ degrees.No more ice. Two portable fridges, one as a freezer and one as a fridge. This takes time, effort and money. I installed all my own electrics into the 4WD - two 100W solar panels and MPPT regulator, two seperate isolated circuits for 3 auxillary batteries. So much easier than ice and eskys. If you are going to take spares you need to know how to replace them and what tools you need. I have had to replace two wheel bearings and a stub axle. If your wheel bearings go you will need to have pry bars, the specific tool to remove the nut (most 1/2 inch socket spanners won't have a socket big enough), punches, files, maybe heating tools etc. Far better to service them yourself and know the warning signs when they require some attention before you go or on the trip. I have a spare wheel bearing just so I don't have to wait weeks for a part to arrive but have the tools as well. I would defineatley take you OWN snatch strap and winch extension strap, I get sick of unpacking mine to get other people off the beach. If you get recovered a six pack goes a long way in thanks (just not at Yalata). If you take a trailer most of the camping spots at Yalata, Dog fence etc only have very short sections where you you need to go into low range 4WD (except the beach). I take my 12 ft tinny and drop it off at the beginning of the beach or dune and unload the 4wd at the camping spot. Go back for the boat transfer the heavier items from the boat to the 4WD like water and fuel due to the smaller footprint of the trailer tyres. Always let your trailer tyres down as well. I have seen some massive trailers on the western dog fence beach no problems. Don't be afraid to let your tyres down dependant on the conditions. I've been down to 8 psi before to get the car off the beach. Just avoid rapid acceleration and turns at speed. Pump them back up when off the sand or go slow. When sand is cold it is denser and easier to drive on so go in during the very early morning if it is going to be hot. Evening is no good as the sand holds it heat fairly well.Take a few packets of salt and newspaper. If you use any fish bait (esp pillies) when they defrost and get soggy you can use a small bait esky, line it with paper and layer the pillies with the salt - one layer pillies and salt, newspaper, and repeat. Good emergency source of bait. Plenty of soft plastics 3 - 5 inch and chrome lures as well. I take a home made oil and pellet berley, not for mulloway but more for STs and tommies for bait.

Assumedly you'd be taking a shovel w2b.When you find your parking spot, if you have no other shade, dig a hole and bury the esky in the sand, and park the car over it, leaving enough room for access, but positioning it all so it keeps the worst of the sun off it.The sand will act as an extra insulator, and with the lid shaded, it will all help ;)

From many years of multiweek fishing and camping on the FWC in summer I have learnt a few things the hard way :blush: I don't use poly types tarps anymore as they are useless. I use the heavy duty shade cloth types as the wind passes through them (cooling) and as they don't catch the wind as much the eyelets don't rip out. I use good qualtiy alloy extendable poles as they don't rust. I aslo make small plates out of marine ply for bases for any poles for shade.As soon as it gets offshore the flies are ridiculous. Some sort of fly proof shelter to eat in. I'm a fan of quickshades now and found them very durable. I always take a portable am radio for tuning into the ABC for weather reports. I have found them very accurate in Summer. If it is going to be offshore and above about 37 deg I personally set up shade on the beach the evening or before dawn on the day. It is hard to do with 20+ knots of northerly and every orifice of your body full of flies @ 40+ degrees.No more ice. Two portable fridges' date=' one as a freezer and one as a fridge. This takes time, effort and money. I installed all my own electrics into the 4WD - two 100W solar panels and MPPT regulator, two seperate isolated circuits for 3 auxillary batteries. So much easier than ice and eskys. If you are going to take spares you need to know how to replace them and what tools you need. I have had to replace two wheel bearings and a stub axle. If your wheel bearings go you will need to have pry bars, the specific tool to remove the nut (most 1/2 inch socket spanners won't have a socket big enough), punches, files, maybe heating tools etc. Far better to service them yourself and know the warning signs when they require some attention before you go or on the trip. I have a spare wheel bearing just so I don't have to wait weeks for a part to arrive but have the tools as well. I would defineatley take you OWN snatch strap and winch extension strap, I get sick of unpacking mine to get other people off the beach. If you get recovered a six pack goes a long way in thanks (just not at Yalata). If you take a trailer most of the camping spots at Yalata, Dog fence etc only have very short sections where you you need to go into low range 4WD (except the beach). I take my 12 ft tinny and drop it off at the beginning of the beach or dune and unload the 4wd at the camping spot. Go back for the boat transfer the heavier items from the boat to the 4WD like water and fuel due to the smaller footprint of the trailer tyres. Always let your trailer tyres down as well. I have seen some massive trailers on the western dog fence beach no problems. Don't be afraid to let your tyres down dependant on the conditions. I've been down to 8 psi before to get the car off the beach. Just avoid rapid acceleration and turns at speed. Pump them back up when off the sand or go slow. When sand is cold it is denser and easier to drive on so go in during the very early morning if it is going to be hot. Evening is no good as the sand holds it heat fairly well.Take a few packets of salt and newspaper. If you use any fish bait (esp pillies) when they defrost and get soggy you can use a small bait esky, line it with paper and layer the pillies with the salt - one layer pillies and salt, newspaper, and repeat. Good emergency source of bait. Plenty of soft plastics 3 - 5 inch and chrome lures as well. I take a home made oil and pellet berley, not for mulloway but more for STs and tommies for bait.[/quote']Great post there Knackers!Reminds me of those days where the extremes of the fwc show themselves - (lol I want to be up there now)!Great Electrical set up!What sort of batterys are you using? Deep cycle obviously but how big?Are two 100w panels enough to keep the system going? How does it go after a few overcast days?Was toying with the same sort of idea but with a small marine wind turbine as back up...

GDK,I have an N70 100 AH wet cell under the hood and 2 x 100 AH AGM securely attached in the back of the wagon. I run both the 60 litre (evercool) fridge and 40 litre (engel)freezer off both the AGMs during the day. The solar panel are hooked up to these two. At night I take the fridge off these batteries and connect it to the one battery under the hood. The panels can run both fridges during the day whilst still recharging the AGMs. I didn't think it would be possible but it works. Longest stay in one spot with this setup was on Frances Peron Penisula at Shark Bay this March for 9 nights. Each day was 38 deg +. I had a genny back up but only used it to recharge the wet cell every 3rd day as the car didn't move. The panels are 'permamently' mounted to the roof rack so I have to park in the sun. I need to work out a better system so I can easily detach them and position them better then performance should be better + the fridges won't have to work so hard if I can park the car in the shade. I'm fairly confident now that I don't need the genny for week long trips but it is good insurance if you consider how much fish you can catch and bring back in a freezer - especially mulloway, gummies, tuna, spanish mackeral etc. I know of mates who have packed up from Yalata on the first day of a week trip because they have caught a 60lb mulloway and can't keep it so they go home rather than waste the fish.Overcast days aren't much of a problem because they are generally cooler and the fridges don't have to cycle as much to maintain temp.With the freezer I also maintain about 10 litres of ice in plastic bottles so I can take 5 litres out with me in the boat in an esky or a small bait esky when on the beach. I have noticed that I use heaps less bait once its thawed as it gos back into the fridge and lasts up to 5 days before re-use. I looked at wind turbines but the good ones are expensive. My panels and 20 Amp regulator was $620 but I did the install myself. I also buy a spare 12v power cable for the fridges and cut the plug off them and hard wire these directly to the battery. One less thing to go wrong as plugs do fall out and are not very efficient.

GDK' date='I have an N70 100 AH wet cell under the hood and 2 x 100 AH AGM securely attached in the back of the wagon. I run both the 60 litre (evercool) fridge and 40 litre (engel)freezer off both the AGMs during the day. The solar panel are hooked up to these two. At night I take the fridge off these batteries and connect it to the one battery under the hood. The panels can run both fridges during the day whilst still recharging the AGMs. I didn't think it would be possible but it works. Longest stay in one spot with this setup was on Frances Peron Penisula at Shark Bay this March for 9 nights. Each day was 38 deg +. I had a genny back up but only used it to recharge the wet cell every 3rd day as the car didn't move. The panels are 'permamently' mounted to the roof rack so I have to park in the sun. I need to work out a better system so I can easily detach them and position them better then performance should be better + the fridges won't have to work so hard if I can park the car in the shade. I'm fairly confident now that I don't need the genny for week long trips but it is good insurance if you consider how much fish you can catch and bring back in a freezer - especially mulloway, gummies, tuna, spanish mackeral etc. I know of mates who have packed up from Yalata on the first day of a week trip because they have caught a 60lb mulloway and can't keep it so they go home rather than waste the fish.Overcast days aren't much of a problem because they are generally cooler and the fridges don't have to cycle as much to maintain temp.With the freezer I also maintain about 10 litres of ice in plastic bottles so I can take 5 litres out with me in the boat in an esky or a small bait esky when on the beach. I have noticed that I use heaps less bait once its thawed as it gos back into the fridge and lasts up to 5 days before re-use. I looked at wind turbines but the good ones are expensive. My panels and 20 Amp regulator was $620 but I did the install myself. I also buy a spare 12v power cable for the fridges and cut the plug off them and hard wire these directly to the battery. One less thing to go wrong as plugs do fall out and are not very efficient.[/quote']Cheers for that knackers,sounds like you have a pretty good set up there....I used to take a 160L fisher and paykel chest freezer (very economical to run) and run it with a bank of deep cycle batts and a 1000/2000w power inverter (Which also had a modified batt charger plumbed into the system constantly charging the system as it went (I had to recharge the set up with the genny every 4th/5th day) - I think a solar set up would buy me a few extra days before I had to start thinking about recharging....I ran 3x 100ah deep cycle batts but also ran lights and other electrical equipment off the system....I think I will look into solar as it seems to be coming into its own now and becoming more user friendly....As for expense I would use the set up in my shed to run the beer fridge etc. and to experiment to make it a better system so the system wouldnt be idle when not camping....Yes, the frozen water bottles work a treat - I will always run a few in my small bait esky just to keep the temp down...Q:?? The MPPT? You said you were running the 20amp version - I am thinking of getting the 40amp because i am thinking of running 2x 240w folding panels and want to be able to upscale if necessary....Would that be possible or do I have to upscale the mppt as I add to the system??Anyway, cheers and thanks for the info.....
Q:?? The MPPT? You said you were running the 20amp version - I am thinking of getting the 40amp because i am thinking of running 2x 240w folding panels and want to be able to upscale if necessary....Would that be possible or do I have to upscale the mppt as I add to the system??Anyway' date=' cheers and thanks for the info.....[/quote']Mate,You should buy the regulator you'll think you need as you would have to upscale if you add more panels. You can simply add the max amount of amps each panel produces to work out the size of your regulator. My panels output max 6 amps (remember they output 19-22V to the reg)so 20 amps for me is fine.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi , I used to fish the far west coast in the early 80s just past yalata, stopped going when the word got out about the big mulloway, used to be great, no permit required, trikes and dune buggies to get around , never saw anyone except my mates, cammels in the dunes, dingo's on the beach and heaps of fish, having a coin operated shower at Nundroo to remove the baked on sand on the way out and a drink in the bar, they even had a whites and Blacks serving area , brings back memories of heaps of great trips over there, still have jars of jewels and strong memories of a very special unspoilt and remote but harsh place.Cheers Mark

Funny thing Mulloway jewels their almost a white glass like material , cutting them out of the fishes head gets harder the bigger the fish,didn't bother in the end , my biggest fish up that way was 86 lb but I saw one bigger caught by a local cocky that was over the 100lb mark looked like a bit of a freak the body was out of proportion and very long, anyway about the time I stopped going up the west coast we worked out the where and how in the Port river in a small tinny and caught heaps in the 40 to 60 lb range, a lot of these fish were more golden and some on cleaning had masses of bulb headed worm's around the stomach and into the flesh so ended up only taking the silver clean run of fish and released the older resident Mulloway to fight another day. Catching big fish in a small boat at night and being towed around is heaps of fun but it doesn't have the magic of standing on a remote beach with surf rod bending over with line pealing of a 650 Alvey with the sun shining and seeing your fish swimming in a wave in front of you , anyway good luck and good fishing Cheers Mark