Far West Coast Mulloway

This is probably a topic that has been raised before but i am planning a trip to the far west coast to chase mulloway for a week towards the end of next month. i understand that you need permits to fish from some of the beaches or enter certain areas? does anyone know anything about how to obtain them? I would also be interested in hearing from other people who have done a trip like this what sort of gear they took with them. :f

I would also be interested in hearing from other people who have done a trip like this what sort of gear they took with them. :f

Lots of sunscreen and a hat with lots of cover for a start !Obviousl;y you want to take gear to cover most situations, but i'd suggest a light outfit for smaller fish such as Tommies from Fowlers jetty, etc, a heavier outfit for the species such as salmon at Scotts beach, and something along the lines of an 8 wrap surf rod ofr the Mullies.What beach r u heading for ?To the best of my knowledge it's only the Aboriginal lands where u will need a permit, and if you google Yalata Aboriginal, it should take you where you want.

Great link Cleaver.Even included this :) GEAR TO TAKE The following is a list we made before heading off. No doubt others will have their own. There may be duplications here. CAMPING AND PERSONAL: • Scaling bag and Insect repellent for flies • Good tents that wont blow away • Small pop-up beach tent for shelter on hot days • Sleeping bag and roll-up mattress • Shaving gear • Washing dish • Face washers and towels • Sand: Screw in Pegs like Bluescrews • Satellite Phone • Portable fridge • Portable 240 volt generator with plenty of fuel and spare oil. • 240 volt light and spare bulbs. • Double adapter • Extension cord • Hammer • Folding chairs • Shovel for digging holes for toilet • Torches and extra batteries and bulbs. • Folding table • Cooker and gas bottle • Generator and plenty of fuel and spare oil • Extension cord • Tables • Chairs • Torches • Spare Batteries • Heavy Duty electrical cable ties • Gaffa Tape FISHING GEAR: • Beach Cabana or similar pop-up tent for shelter from the sun while fishing. • Rods: Bait catching and Surf • Reels: Bait catching and Surf • Line: 30 pound line for Mulloway fishing and 6 pound line for bait fishing. • Rigs: Pre tied surf rigs and bait catching rigs. • Salted bait like pilchards and whitebait for catching small fish for bait, and for larger baits in an emergency. • Spare sea salt for salting down other fish for bait like salmon that may be caught while Mulloway fishing. • Sinkers: 6 ounce (170 gram) Breakaway style for heavy gear, lighter (15 grams) for bait catching gear. • Hooks: size 6/0 to 8/0 and No 6 for bait catching. • Spare Hooks: • Spare rigging line • Light outfits, Lures, Line and Rigs. • Rod holders: • Knife • Knife Sharpener • Scissors • Small folding table • Berley cage and pegs. • 10 kg salted pilchards • Folding chairs • Head torches • Ordinary torches • Spare batteries • Chemical lights for rods. FOOD AND DRINK: • Four litres of water per person per day • Tinned Food • Cryovac food • Fish smoker • Add water type food like noodles • Cooker and gas TOILETRIES: • Shaver • Small washing dish • Toothpaste • Soap • Towels • Face washers • Comb • Toilet paper • Sun screen CLOTHING • Socks • Undies • Singlets • T shirts • Pullovers • Rubber booties, sandals, or other appropriate footwear for sandy beaches • Lycra wet suits • Hats • Gloves PHOTOGRAPHIC: • Camera • Memory cards • Batteries • Battery charger It didnt say watch out for the Dingos tho!

Guys, lol, loved the "list"! seems people take everything up there - was the kitchen sink in there somewhere???? ;) If you are heading to the aboriginal lands or anywhere past nundroo for that matter you are going to pretty harsh conditions so remember to upscale - if youre using a tent - get xos pegs and maybe a seweing kit if your tent is blown apart by a sudden blow - it can happen - remember when its hot - its really hot (when theres no sea breeeze up there it can get opressively hot) - blowing - its blowing a gale - take fly hats (with netting) - I was chased off a beach once up there cos' I forgot the aerogaurd (it was impossible to fish) - remember extreme....Take whatever you think is necessary lol I suppose the most important thing is to make sure your vehicle is in tip top condition - dont skimp on the prep and make sure you are carrying spare hoses - belts - etc....I even carry a spare set of shocks and have a cv tucked away just in case......lol sorry im still amused by that list - and there's a reason - I suppose the question is what you're going up there for - camping???? or are you going there to catch fish??? If it is the latter and you want to fish anywhere but geues (campsite on the other side of the sandhill) dont take the genny! There are fish up there and they are big - its amazing how many people leave there without fish.....Vibration travels through the ground and the fish pick up on it...Believe it or not...... I had a trip up there where we actually had a school of fish in front of us for 3 days (it was an incredible experience catching 50lb plus fish every cast)...A fairweather fisho mate rocked up - set up his campsite (along with his genny) - pulled the ripcord and the school was gone! We spent another 3 days there catching sharks and rays....Gotta remember you are going itno the middle of nowhere - the only noise up there is natural.....Introduce a foreign noise up there and skittish fish bolt....Im sure there's going to be people saying "well we had a genny and caught fish"!!! fair enuff - you'll never know how much better you could have done if you didnt have one.....Just a tip.....Cheers....

Guest Red Bull

You are right in saying that Geues is up over the dune.......and a big bugger it is :ohmy: .......we had a quad up and over every day,so that was pretty easy ;) We found it to be a pretty good spot,with some fair captures around the 50lb mark.........granted,not as many as other spots........but live bait was pretty easy to get there.We had no gennie either B)

yeh, it is a biggie....I dont go there - too many people usually - even heard of fights breaking out there because of crossed lines and lost fish...I fish bobs kitchen - ahhh the serenity! ;) until the reel screams! yeh the one im holding here was caught on a freshie s/t....Actually done trips up there where I only take cockles for bait and work my way up....

cheers GDK, i wouldnt have thought that the Genny would make that difference but can see the logic, we have a land rover and a trailer so i reckon that we should get everything that we need in that. i dont want to be unprepared but i figure s long s we got fuel, food and water, fishing gear and a reliable car we should be right :)

We did the Dog Fence beach. GHreat place, but a few rocks hidden just under the sand within the first K or so of the beaches entrance, after u drop onto the beach down from the main track :pinch: Pays to be careful there and drive as slowly as the soft sand allows :pinch: :S We fished the Nth side of the fence, stopping about 5 Ks up the beach at the first decent gutter found.We scored baitfish and quite a few soapies, but only 1 decent Mully.We left far earlier than expected due to a wind that picked up, and was covering absoluteley everything in a really fine sand, that was getting ridiculously annoying very quickly.Put up with it for 2 days before pulling the pin, and travelled back to Elliston and fished around there instead :)

Guys' date=' lol, loved the "list"! seems people take everything up there - was the kitchen sink in there somewhere???? ;) [/quote'] :lol::lol::lol: I have to admit, it was pretty long !came from Fishnet I think :unsure: That guy was pretty organised, and must have had a pretty big trailer too !At least it covered everything, but yeah, didnt see a sink anywhere :lol: I travelled up there pretty light, but even then it was a small truckload :blink:
cheers GDK' date=' i wouldnt have thought that the Genny would make that difference but can see the logic, we have a land rover and a trailer so i reckon that we should get everything that we need in that. i dont want to be unprepared but i figure s long s we got fuel, food and water, fishing gear and a reliable car we should be right :)[/quote']Sounds about right mate, but yeh what red bull said - make sure you have shelter - even set up something on the beach while you are down there - as I said - everything is extreme up there and I have never experienced heat like up there - oppressive!! (well it can be given the right conditions)...make sure you are prepared for that.. Sunscreen/ hats/ lots of water - avoid dehydration and sunstroke - theres lots of nothing out there and help is a long way away....lol yeh afishyfish, its amazing what ive seen some people take up there - Ive seen jacksons hole lit up like a chrismas tree - could hear the gennys going and the music all the way from bobs kitchen! when talking to the "campers" they were complaining about the lack of mulloway and the abundance of sharks! well.....lol some dont put 2 and 2 together.....Ive been up there many many many times and have done the genny and not - the quads and not - both and both - not and not - best and most productive is like any mulloway fishing - no light on the water and no noise.....steady and consitent - whereas with the noise - one here one there and lots of sharks seem to come to the vibration......Yep those ironing boards seem to find their way up there - they (the fishnet guys) did take everything - not that im opposed to people being prepared - but it can be overboard - lol what gets me is I see it a lot - people up there creating a mini city campsite with fridges freezers genny(s) sat dishes lol and the kitchen sink - and make a fuss when they dont catch anything.. lol it was funny reading - a big long page of story but at the beginning of it - yeh but we didnt catch any big mulloway!!!! Duh!!!Im just trying to help a few who want to do the 1000 plus k trip to make it worthwhile and not just make it a camping trip...Cheers....

Ok - Ill tell you this little fishing story and let you decide:Bob's kitchen - N.E. about 5 knots - hot / overcast / offshore - not much swell - clearish water.....Spotted a great hole accompanied to a break in the second sandbar so I lobbed a fresh s/t right on the edge of the sandbar and waited - and waited....20 or so minutes then started walking away fom my rod....I was about 20 feet away from it (walking away) when my rod tip just moved a bit and then snapped back to nothing again....i stopped and watched - nothing - started walking away again and again - just a small movement (a pull foreward) then it let go again....I pulled my line in and the s/t was chewed to bits - and almost gone.....I replaced it and threw it in the same spot again.....Waited ---- waited ------then walked away ------same thing! straight away! soon as I walked away - the rod tip just moved.....What the!!!!!Pulled my line in again - and this time the s/t was chewed but it had the teeth marks of a good sized jewy so it was on......The next cast i did the same thing - waited for a little while (10 mins) but this time when I walked away I loosened my drag so when i walked away I took the line with me - rod in the rod holder but as I walked off I had the line coming off the reel and coming with me keeping the line tight - same same - 20 odd feet away the tip started flicking - I yanked the line and all hell broke loose! -------- so the point is - this fish was watching me!!! They arent that dumb.....That changed the way I fished up there - from that moment on I went stealth - and caught a helluva lot more fish.....I cut out all the un natural aspects of my presence there eg. noise / smell / (i washed my hands in the sand and salt before baiting up) fresh bait / (fresh dead) livies dont seem to work - and kept away from my rod and sat closer up near the sandhill....And caught more fish!!Sorry about the quality of the photo but this was a long time ago and it was the days before digital - this is the fish and you can see the conditions - still this fish was watching me - it was aware of my presence there......Even though its a long way from nowhere to catch fish you still have to follow the basics of jewie fishing....(if you want to catch fish)....

gregmulloway.jpg

Ok - Ill tell you this little fishing story and let you decide:

I'm undecided GDK' date=' Tho Im sure stranger things can and do happen ! :whistle: ;) But, I wouldnt doubt for 1 moment that the noise/vibration from lots of campers up there could make a difference !

Even though its a long way from nowhere to catch fish you still have to follow the basics of jewie fishing....(if you want to catch fish)....

Doesnt sound that different really to attempting to catch our more local ones either, unless your name is Jack, Snapperhead or ChuckThrillseeker ;)

this is the list we have compiled so far, any input on things we have left out would be goodSunscreenSwags x2Shade structureWater 50LFry panOilSalt and pepperTongsCanned foodFly nets and repellantMetal plates x2Garbage bagsShovels x2Head torches x2 (spare batteries)Party pack glow sticksElectrical tape x 5 rollsDeck chairs x2Ironing boardChopping boardRagsTowels x2PetrolWet onesToilet paper/tissuesCar battery powered compressorIpod charger for ciggie lighterFishing Gearsurf rods and reels x4spare line 2x 300yd spools 30lb braid, 2x 300yd spools 50lb braid, 1x spool 30lb mononew lighter surf rod, 12ft for tom2x big fuckin reels with 50lb braidspare spool for toms baitrunner8/0 hooks (circles, suicides etc)Hooks for catching baitSinkers x25Metal slugs x4Knives

Gday W2bf,Im sure its just an oversight but maybe the bait / eskys (ice boxes) and ice????Some places up there you can't light fires (at some times) so a gas cooker and gas???A really good knife set (long knife for filleting the xos mully) - and sharpener...A heavy duty scaling tool - They have some tough large scales...Rod holders! Make your own - use heavy poly pipe (drain pipe) make sure they are long (about 160cm up) so you can dig them in deep (seen rods catapault out of poorly set holders before)GAFF!!!!!! Oh, and get yourself one of those portable vehicle jump starters - just in case....Just remember you are going to an area that is inhospitable, uninhabited, extreme, plan accordingly - bigger is better - stronger is important - so just for instance if you have a tent - thicker guy ropes and longer tent spikes (wind).....OR instead of sunscreen use zinc! etc.etc... Always check your swag before you jump in (snakes) and dont leave anything out that a dingo or ferrule dog could swipe....If you're driving at night out past penong, watch out for roos / wombats and camels and catch lots of fish!

Having only ever driven buckets of crap all my life I think tools and parts to get you out of trouble are pretty important, even if your car is newish and recently serviced - spare fan belt if its not electric, air compressor, tow rope, jumper leads, zip ties, a bit of wire and some duck tape. Make sure there's no play in the trailer bearings, if so take some grease and a spare :)

First aid kit and a snatch strap or tow rope would also be good inclusions. It's hard to decide what to take, you need everything because you're in the middle of the desert, but also want to travel light!!Also look at grabbing some frozen bait on the way just to be sure. Have fun and look forward to the report with a 60lb mully :fishing::clap:

Having only ever driven buckets of crap all my life I think tools and parts to get you out of trouble are pretty important' date=' even if your car is newish and recently serviced - spare fan belt if its not electric, air compressor, tow rope, jumper leads, zip ties, a bit of wire and some duck tape. Make sure there's no play in the trailer bearings, if so take some grease and a spare :)[/quote']Gday kadava, ahhh yeh the car stuff! was thinking his list was only what to take and not the "necessities"!!!! Obviously they would be taking a 4bie so I HOPE they have the basics! belts / spare parts / compressors (for tyre pressure) / Tools / First aid kit / Tow rope or snatchie or both/ spare tyre/s / Patch kit / jack / base plate for sand jacking / Hoses / Coolant / wheel bearings / grease - work out your cars weaknesses and bring spares....(as i have already stated somewhere I even carry a spare c.v. just in case)...I think the last person (I heard of) that had to get towed outa there paid $1500...Its probably more now......... ;)
Guest Red Bull

Never taken a trailer personally..........2 of us went away for a week in a short wheel base 70 series Land Cruiser.....just took the back seat out........heavy stuff inside the truck down as low as possible,light but bulky swags on the roof rack.......wasn't too bad except for the trip home,which was 43 degrees,no air con and the little naturally aspirated 3.4 litre diesel was flat knackers at 95kph :pinch: Still,we got back :)

yeh, done both - towed a trailer the times i took the quad and freezer etc. - lol - i dont tow a trailer anymore....Just the basic necessities now....Towing a trailer is a real drag! especially on the offroad bit....Again, if you choose to tow a trailer make sure it's ready for the offroad onslaught...Its amazing how much you can fit in a mid size 4bie anyway....

mate, basically, as long as your vehicle is reliable, you'll be right - the first time - you'll work out what you need and dont need - after that its easy....fishing gear (that includes gaffs/knives - burley stuff rods reels hooks etc)bait/ice/eskysFoodCooking stuffSleeping stuff / tent / swag / mattress whichever way you choosecar stuff / spares and safetypersonal stuff..sunscreen/ fly screen/ etc...Everyones different so you'll work it out...Oh, and make sure you have a spare "iced" esky for fillets! Cheers...