So that's why it's called OnkaSTOMPA....

...'cos if you don't STOMP as you walk around you'll get bit by a brown snake!Went for a SP flick in the Onk this arvo and on the 3rd cast, just next to the old railway bridge I see out of the corner of my eye something moving near the water's edge. Look around and there's a full grown brown entering the water 3 to 4 metres away :icon_e_surprised:. Now I know most people always describe a large snake as 6 ft ::) long but I tend to understatement. I reckon this was a shade over a meter, of solid build and I would still call it "large". So, those of you heading down for the Onkastompa compa - don't be put off but do be aware, dress sensibly and STOMP around to give the poor legless blighters a chance to get away before they have to defend themselves at your expense.

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:...mate, i just got back myself. and im in the stompa comp. :P :P my eyes are always peeled for the bastards though :icon_eek:. i learnt that chasing reddies.....first bit of good sunshine heybut this early that is a worry >:(cheersstu

Its not only the Browns down there you also get Red Bellied Black and Tigers down there have seen all three along the river over the years. Just have to treat them with the respect they deserve and all will be OK. Just dont corner it or annoy it, the only one to really worry about( all are bad) is the tiger, its there maiting season and they WILL CHASE YOU if you annoy, so my advise is if sunny wear appropriate clothing and foot wear.

I've spent a few years as a snake catcher and hepetologist, had a house full of venomous snakes and used to lecture and perform public displays/demonstrations. I recon I know a thing or two about Australian snakes.It aint just mating season for Tiger snakes. It's mating season for ALL snakes at the moment, but that's no reason to be afraid!Ya don't have to go stomping around either. Just walking normally the snakes will pick up on your footfalls, and all snakes except for Death Adders will get out of your way! In fact, snakes move silently through the undergrowth (unlike lizards) so more than likely we've all come within close proximity to them, but they gotten out of our way without our knowing that they were even there.It's just a matter of being sensible out there! If ya come to a rock or log, instead of stepping over it, step up onto it and LOOK over the other side before stepping off, so that ya don't surprise a snake basking on the other side. Don't stick ya hand into lil crevices in the rocks. Etc, etc, etc!Snakes are not out to hurt us, and would much rather escape if at all possible, so if ya do happen to surprise one, just freeze and wait for the snake to move off.

the only one to really worry about is the tiger

This, I'm sorry Moose, is frogsh*t! Browns are just as dangerous as Tigers, they're just as fast as Tigers (possibly even faster), their venom is just as potent, and their behaviour is just as aggressive. The only differences are that the Tiger has a larger more robust body, the Tiger has longer fangs, and the Tiger has larger venom glands. Both will strike repeatedly and both can kill many times over!Even though it's the largest of the lot, it's actually the Red Bellied Black which isn't quite as dangerous, even though it LOOKS the most dangerous of the lot with it's irridescent black body and red stripe! It's actually much slower than the others, with less toxic venom and a less aggressive attitude. That's still no reason to go messing with it though!If any of ya have any questions about snakes, I'm more than happy to answer them!

Um yeah....what ranger said, dont worry bout the stompin they no ure comin ;D. same as the bream u can tippy toe and ule still see them swim away from the shallows(vibrations). Respect the snakes and they will return it :D. there more scared of u than u are of them.Just keep still when ya see em and wait till they move on 8)...easy

RangerI didn't mean not to worry about the browns as they are just as bad as tigers and all snakes should be treated with respect. But I have been chased by a tiger and only ever seen browns slip away (although this was in the south east) so I was only speaking from PERSONAL experience, so sorry if I misinterpreted myself.

No problems moose, maybe it was me who misinterpreted you, and no offence intended.Around Adelaide and evirons the Brown Snake is probably of greatest concern to us, as this is the one we'll most likely contact on a regular basis, as it's the one most found in populated areas. In fact, we provide the perfect habitat for it, by having bird aviaries and attracting mice, by putting in rockeries, ground cover and water features. By leaving crap (cover) laying around our yards, and by letting our gardens get overgrown. We actually provide them with food, water, shelter and habitats where they feel extremely comfortable.Average size for a Brown is only aroun 3-4' and don't believe all the sories ya hear about 8' Brown Snakes jumping out of trees, chasing people and terrorizing the neighbourhood, coz all they are are STORIES which get embelished a lil mopre each time they're told.Brown Snakes are aggressive but predictable! Just like all snakes, they'll make an effort to get away from people, but corner them or pose a direct threat to them, and they'll retaliate and defend themselves. Brown snakes will get into the strike posture, and when they strike they do it in 1/25th of a second (faster then you can blink). Their aggressive behaviour leads them to strike repeatedly, so it's not uncommon to get in excess of 6 bites in quick succession.Brown Snakes have one of the most potent venoms known to man, but they also have very small venom glands, hence they dont like to waste the venom. Due to this, many times the initial strike is merely a DRY bite (where no envenomation takes place) which serves as a warning.Brown snakes always strike low to the ground (ankle to knee height) and they have small fangs (about 2.5mm).Common precautions offer a deal of safety towards Brown Snakes. Wearing long trousers, decent footwear and socks rather than the standard shorts and thongs.At this time of year snakes have been torpid all winter, so now as the weather warms they're out and about looking for a mate. The females exude a pheremone, and males from all over the area will be attracted to this girly scent. Food, water and cover is also abundant at this time of year, so snakes have been well fed, and can often be found out basking in the sun, warming themselves and digesting recent meals, and this is the time we inadvertantly come across them.Also, bear in mind that all snakes are competent swimmers. Many a person standing in the water has found a snake comming directly at them, as snakes have notoriously poor eyesight and us fishermen standing in the water must look to a snake as a likely resting area to climb onto for a shrt break.This poor eyesight is the reason why it's important to freeze if you confront a snake. Snakes do not act aggressively towards humans as a general rule, but instead they respond to what THEY perceive as a direct threat. This threat generally comes in the form of movement! When the movement stops, the threat stops, and the person who is posing the threat suddenly becomes no more threatening than a bush, tree or rock, and snakes do not bite bushes, trees or rocks. The snake will generally move on within a short time, making it's own attempt to get free. If it doesn't we should back up slowly, but if we see the snake react to this movement, we should freeze again and wait.I'm dribbling again! Enough!

I've been chased by tigers and had browns slither away too, but I've only encountered a couple and not enough to say definate. Ranger seems to know his stuff though, I'm not gonna go "don't worry its only a brown!" I've had a tiger try and climb up my paddle will kayaking near cobdogla. That was one time I wasn't gonna freeze!

Some interesting stuff there - think I'll wear gaiters, leather gloves and a nice solid cod piece :icon_e_biggrin:So Ranger are you going to strap on the waterbag and join us for the day? You could offer positive identification of what we've been bitten by :D. Apart from that I sure could use some tuition on the SPs - still have a score of exactly zero :-[ - will think of some excuses later.Cheers, Bob

So Ranger are you going to strap on the waterbag and join us for the day?

I'll be there, in charge of all things BBQ! I've actually got a suture kit here that I've never yet had the chance to try out! :( So if ya do get bitten, my treatment is gonna be swift and severe amputation, so's I'll finally get the chance to sew someone up! ;DWas that knit one, pearl 2, is it the double overhand macrame stitch, or a simple blanket stitch? Let me consult my knitting books and sewing guide! :P

I've actually got a suture kit here that I've never yet had the chance to try out! :( So if ya do get bitten, my treatment is gonna be swift and severe amputation, so's I'll finally get the chance to sew someone up! ;D

Note to self: In case of snake bite sit down and die quietly - it should be less unpleasant than the "treatment" ;D