Home Made Lure

Hey guys n gals,Been doing a little research, particularly into catching flatties and sweep etc and settled on a DIY spinner lure and made it from a nice shiny stainless teaspoon. The beads can be swapped out for any type, and the lure can be set up for any bait by changing the hook size. In the pic, I'm only using wire for visibility, I actually used an 80LB polyester thread for the short line and 10lb fluoro on the long line on the finished lure, the thread gives much better action than when I tested it with 40lb mono, but you could use 20lb mono and it'd probably work well too. I used the thread because I have it for my leatherworking.Here's how it's done:1. Cut the head off the spoon with boltcutters, hacksaw, leatherjacket or whatever. Keep both parts.2. Drill a ~3mm hole at the end where the handle was, or both if you want to have the option of using it as an inline as well.3. De burr the hole(s) using a bigger drill or a countersink, stainless burrs up like crazy when drilled and WILL damage your line otherwise.4. Sand and file the cut off end of the spoon head so that it's smooth like the tip of the spoon, again, this is for keeping the line from getting caught etc.5. Tie the main line of the lure together with the 2 swivels and beads, don't forget to thread the spoon on after the first bead,(thread the thick end on, the one you cut the handle off) then put on the second bead and tie the second swivel as close as you possibly can.6. Snell a hook, then tie the line onto the lower swivel, make it no longer than about 100-125mm max.7. Bait up, fish and enjoy! I tested mine in the bathtub and it doesn't need too much speed; you should be able to work it by jerking and pausing, or even just a medium speed straight retrieve.Remember that spoon handle I told you to keep? cut it a little shorter and stick it in a vice; then use heavy pliers to twist it into a spiral. A couple holes, split rings and a treble and you now have 2 lures from 1 spoon! Pics, so that it makes sense ;)Posted Image

Great tutorial Shims. :clap:When you nail that 80cm Flathead on it there had better be a report! :P

I'll leave the catching fish part up to you ugly! :whistle: Seriously though, I hope this does land a nice flattie, will be trying some inlets and maybe going down second valley way to give it a run!Also fishunter, I did try twisting up the handle, but my pliers weren't up to it as the metal was too tick. Time to put some locking pliers on the list of tools to get...