Mulloway lures

Hey all, im just wondering about lure selection for mulloway? i had a flick on the weekend for a good two hours for one hit, that was using a berkley 4" grub in chartreuse colour and then i swapped to a squidgy fish 100mm, im thinking i might swap to vibes? however i think with structure on the bottom this will make it a very expensive trip? does anyone have a go to mulloway lure for use inside the murray mouth? P.s i'm very new to lure fishing, any other tips about retrieve or whatever would also be very much appreciated, cheers :)

i was using 100mm gulps on the small mullies the other night but dnt think it would have made much of a difference the way they where feeding. i started with gulp pilchard pattern and they where getting smashed so couldn't bring myself to change to anything else. went through the whole pack on snags and 2 many fish on some so i wouldn't be using expensive vibes, the guys did get a few on hardbodys which will save you losing vibes to snags. im keen on getting a little popper before i head up again.pauly

Depends on where you plan to fish but for most areas 15lb is fine . If you are near or fishing in some decent current then the fish can use this current to it's advantage and then you will also need to up your main line as well as leader . For example if i was fishing the Onk then i would use 4-9lb line with a 12-20lb leader , For the Coorong i was using 12lb main with a 20lb leader but if i was closer to the mouth i would of gone 20lb main with a 30-40lb leader . In the port the current can be huge and i have been using 40lb line and leader but this was with bait . These are not rules but hopefully a guide to help you out , but see what you feel comfortable with and what casts well also . no good having heavy line if you cant cast to where the fish are . If you get onto a few but keep getting busted of then up you leader size ? Good luck fella .

Evil Minnow Slick rigs, number one go to plastic for me when I fish with them, any other time I use my Prawn flies ;) Slick rigs are also good when you are starting out as you only have to tie them on, other plastics take a bit of practice to get straight on the hook when you are learning. Good luck fella. Cheers Dazz

Hey all' date=' im just wondering about lure selection for mulloway? i had a flick on the weekend for a good two hours for one hit, that was using a berkley 4" grub in chartreuse colour and then i swapped to a squidgy fish 100mm, im thinking i might swap to vibes? however i think with structure on the bottom this will make it a very expensive trip? does anyone have a go to mulloway lure for use inside the murray mouth? P.s i'm very new to lure fishing, any other tips about retrieve or whatever would also be very much appreciated, cheers :)[/quote']Only tried two differant lures in two full hours fishing for one hit? Thats the problem there.People get to stuck on this idea that there is a particular colour for a particular species in a particular area.Change it up! Try differant colours and techniques. If the fish arent hitting plastics fished deep try a shallow running minnow, if thats not working make some noise with a loud rattlin vibe, still not working, do some surface work for a while.If a technique is not working do not waste your time thrashing the bejeezers out of it or you will just go home hungry. I know this because ive been there and done that.There is no point in me reccomending any specific lure/colour, I could list of dozens of differant lures that have worked for me. Certainly take note of what people are having success with, but go out there and smash all theses differant techniques to find out what is working on the day.ps; reading this back to myself it sounds a bit rough. its not a criticism, its meant to be helpful advice ;)

At least your telling me straight mate :) appreciate you letting me in on this sooner rather thsn later :) i have a selection of plastics, its just i need to get into the habit of using them well, ill get there one day :) P.S.... Thanks for the link archerfish! Motackle is a good reliable site to buy off, ill have a look