Where to fish in June?

Hi team,I am an absolute beginner fisherman, having been three times.Trout farmed fishingFishing as a kid once off a jettyChartered fishing trip.I am, however, in the process of organising a fishing trip in SA for June 10th long weekend.I will be going with my partner, her father, probably my partner's brother and partner.We are planning on using a boat....but are not going to rule out a chartered trip or off a jetty.Where do we want to fish?- We have free accommodation in Moonta.- We live South of the City (1 hour north of Normanville/Victor Harbour)- We will go on the long weekend, so can stay up for one or two nightsOr, is there anywhere else you could recommend I go to research?Cheers

Hey mate and Welcome... Moonta is a Good Base camp for a weekend away. plenty of fishing spots both landbased and on the boat plus theres plenty of charters within the copper coast (wallaroo moonta pt Hughes) gAnd on a plus theres quite a few shops eg clothing stores and that for your partners to go and look at so the boys can go fishing :D :D :D.Its like a mini town so you have everything you need and its a nice little town.As for fishing theres plenty out there... Squid tommies whting mullet are just a few to name in the winter time you will get.And your Friendly Tackle store at both Moonta and Wallaroo are more than happy to help you out...Hope this helps...

Thanks mate. Moonta is sounding good. Really wouldn't mind some Whiting, and if all that fails, knowing squid should be around off the jetty is always good.Is it possible to have an educated guess of if the water is likely to be rough around mid June near Pt Hughes/Moonta? Is it renowned for being rough, or flat? Is there elsewhere that would be good that is generally flat around June?I've no I really got zero idea, but this is me starting off my research :)

And your Friendly Tackle store at both Moonta and Wallaroo are more than happy to help you out...Hope this helps...

Like Southie said' date=' I would get in touch with the local guys at the Complete AnglerI am 100% sure they will let you know anything and everything you require for your time in Moonta Hope this helps, and Welcome ...

And your Friendly Tackle store at both Moonta and Wallaroo are more than happy to help you out...Hope this helps...

Like Southie said' date=' I would get in touch with the local guys at the Complete AnglerI am 100% sure they will let you know anything and everything you require for your time in Moonta Hope this helps, and Welcome ...
I'm more than happy to help in that deptartment mate :) when your ready and if you still do go let me know and i will be able to help you out...

Pretty sure there is somewhere in the Moonta area where you can hire a boat? if you split the costs it works out better than a charter.If memory serves me correctly, Kelvin posted about hiring a boat up there with his brother and father, which meant they could get out in the bay and fish when and where they wanted.**EDIT**ah, the search is a wonderful thing:http://www.strikehook.com/forum/43-yorke-peninsula/175851-port-hughes#175851

I have just back from a week holidays with the boys. We stayed at Port Hughes and managed to get out in the boat on Monday and Tuesday. Following some recommendations we hired the 18 foot Nereus from Port Hughes General Store. It was well set up with Fish finder and GPS pre programmed with spots. We arrived 10am monday and were straight out in the boat. First drop in the bay produced a whiting. We then moved down to near Cape Elizabeth to catch a few 40cm fish as well as some red mullet and a leatherjacket before returning to the bay in the afternoon. Finally hit a school of 33cm to 34cm fish and managed to bring the bag to 34 before the tide slowed and the fish stopped biting. Drifted for squid for a while to top off a nice bag.

Brilliant. Thanks all.$200 or so for the boat split between 3-6 people works out perfectly fine.Saturday in the boat, Sunday off a jetty then back home for dinner time sounds about right.I like this plan, just gotta make sure my partner's father is available, and then I think we'll be good.I've borrowed my grandfathers fishing rod, and I have line... and my partner's father apparently has the right lures and other gear... so I think we are golden.Yes, I think I now have a plan.