Thanks to tax time have a few bucks to invest in a new reel.I'v been using an Okuma Hardstone HS-55 for a few years now for most of my winter surf salmon fishing and recently a mate has got a boat and its been ideal for targeting snapper (I said targeting, not catching, well not heaps anyway). I would like another reel about the same size as my Okuma and i was looking for suggestions for any alternatives. I can still pick up the HS-55 from BCF for about $100 so suggestions in that price range would be good. I was looking at the Penn Spinfisher V range as i have an older Penn 850 does anyone have one of the new ones?

Definitely go a baitrunner of some description. I had an epix once and never again. It seized solid with no chance of repair and yet it went on all the same outings as my shimanos. The dude that tried to repair it said it was an all too common occurrence. I do however have a Salina 2 2500 that seems to be going better. Time will tell.