IM GOING TO CAPE YORK! need a travel rod!

So.. i got a phone call yesterday.. asking if i was interested on doing a trip up to the cape.. and a second phone call today.. Confirming.. i got the job! so im taking a 4wd truck from Cairns to Cape York and back on a 14 day tour. i have a few options to fish. but since i fly to Cairns tues/weds next week i wont be able to take much gear with me.So im asking folks on here whats your recommendations on travel rods.. and does anyone have one second hand suitable for the fishing from shore based locations up there???also.. have you done Cape York? how was it? any hints and tips???Cheers for the replys!

never been to the tropics but have watched a few fishing shows that were targeting species up that way if your just going land based i would just keep it light but if going on boat throw in a decent rod nice sized spanish mackrel up that way but you will only get them on a boat as for land based you will have nannagai red emporer coral trout mangrove jack mud crabs etc able to be caught also try some of the freshwater creeks in the rainforest which are up that way for jungle perch

poppa Snake, cheers, but i have an option on one of them already.. i find it a tad heavy for my needs and doesnt quite suit what im after. im thinking 7' and 5-8 or 6-10kg rated in a 4-6pc set up.im taking a Shimano technium 4000 with 2 spools, 20 and 30lb braid. probably with 50lb mono leaders.

Netman, yeah i wont have the time on this trip as ... im kinda working ;) to get into a boat trip. if i did.. id probably take a half day charter some where and use all their gear. at this stage ill have a couple chances i think for fresh water holes and ill def have a chance off the beach and a jetty up at cape york base camp. plus i may have a couple chances while at Cairns near palm cove area.

yeah.. its going to be hard work mate... haaaard... im not going to enjoy this at all!!!:DTrip HighlightsVisit the far northern tip of AustraliaVisit the Torres Strait islands of Thursday and Horn Island (optional tour)Camp on sandy shores of Loyalty BeachSpend two day at the magnificent Twin FallsBush camp by remote inland waterwaysVisit Bramwell station Australia’s northern most cattle stationTravel through and camp in Lakefield National ParkVisit Aboriginal art sitesReturn via the world heritage Daintree RainforestDestinationsHann River, Archer River, Cockatoo Creek, Fruit Bat Falls, Loyalty BeachThe Tip, Jardine River,Twin Falls, Elliot Falls, Captain Billy's Landing, Bramwell StationHeathland Reserve, Weipa, Musgrave Station, Lakefield, Cooktown, Daintree RainforestCape Tribulation

Fridge, Rods and and a Rod case are tax deductions ;) ( god i love this job!)as for frieght unsure if it will get up there in time as this trip has been kinda thrown at me at last minute.. yesterday i was starting to think.. the big long wide Nullarbor was calling again.. by lunch i was heading to Cape York!Trihul, ill check them out! but getting up in price for a once off usage rod.. would my technium 4000 be undergunned for bit of land based fishing ?

after a few thoughts.. buying a rod for one trip didint seem such a great idea.. so i bought a travel rod i could use down here.. and also on my normal trips across to perth and back. currently i take a full size rod tube 8ft long.. and its a bit annoying.. so.. grabbed one of these at a price of just over 100http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/products/shimano-raider-travel-inshore-fishing-rod-904-shore-spin.htmlRecommended Target Fish Species – snapper, mulloway, trevally, salmon, tailor, small tuna, bonito, kingfish, bream, whiting, queenfish, cod.i think it covers a few bases.. and ill be able to get better use from it. maybe next year if i do this trip more often, ill also have the experience in knowing what im after a bit better.. ill grab something more specific. couple of poppers and lures as well. hopefully see me catch a fish :)

i currently use a 9ft jewel 2pc as my traveling rod to perth and back.. but run the risk of breaking it if i dont have the tube.. or.. if i do have the tube its 8ft long for a 4.5ft rod.. so this travel rod fits in my bag and will cover this trip and my future " normal trips"as for jealous.. im jealous of all these people with boats.. while im always land based.. :Pbout time i might actually get soemthing better than an aussie salmon.. though my land based groper are pretty decent catches ;)

Hi Del,We have the following in stock and if your are interested in any of them I will be in Adelaide on Monday morning and can bring them down with us. Shimano Tcurve Revolution Barra Spin 653 5'6" 5-8kg 3 pceBrowning Ambush 7'6" 4-8kg 4 pceCrucis 7'10" up to 7kg 4 pce Japanese im8 40 Ton Modulus GraphiteNitro 7'6" Magnumbut 4-6kg 5 pceRegardsSharon Compleat Angler Moonta

Thanks Sharon.. i ended up grabbing a shimano travel rod from my local around the corner. had a good 25% off.. and a hand full of lures.. so im set! Youguys down there offer a great service! ill be sure to shop with you when i pop down next!

so... now i have a rod sorted out..Who has done the cape??Your experiences? info? Ill be travelling with an assistant who has done the run a few times but it will be my first cape trip. ive been warned about Palm creek and Nolans crossings already. also.. if youve fished land based up that way any suggestions on lures to use?