What is the reasoning behind Split Grips ?

I reckon the split grip is mainly just cosmetic appeal.The best sensitivity is going to come from a cork grip anyway.Having said the above, I really liked a mates Shimano Jewel when having a loan once and so soon found myself in a tackle shop with my 2500 Twinpower reel in one hand and a fist fulla cash in the other. I tried a few rods and found the light weight jewel balanced very nicely - This is easy I think because the split grip design would've given the makers length options to suit the balancing with standard modern 2000ish reels. In contrast the shorter full cork rods in say a GLoomis are (I gather) made with much more precision re: how they balance - with little length to play with behind the reel, the whole thing needs closer consideration - what Im suggesting is the jewel designers could've made whatever they wanted re: taper and length forward of the reel seat and then just added length and a chunk of split grip to balance her out for a generic 2000ish reel. - where-as much more consideration is required when there is no butt to play with. There is an argument for high sensitivity directly from the blank I guess, but cork is always going to be lighter than any other material i'm aware of an highly sensitive anyway.On balancing, I could see someone getting by with slight butt weight but I used a mates poorly balanced tip heavy rod one morning and I nearly threw it at him - very poor and awkward.Horses for courses, but I like all my rods to be well balanced, that way you begin any action from a neutral position - fighting fish and targeting lures (and baits for that matter) is tough enough without permanently compensation for poor weight distribution.You only want to use the energy you have to use- let the rod sling yer lure to spot x and use the same rod to angle your fish back to you :)- hope that made some sense - if not I can always cut-paste from a more reliable source of opinion -P.s What's the difference between an onion and a Port Adelaide player?? Nobody cries when you peel a Port Player :ohmy: