Merry Christmas,I'm looking for info on the best conditions for gar? The most common things I've heard are:- Night is better than day- Calm conditions are better than roughAnything else regarding tides or seasons I'm missing.Meteye is showing the Grange (I guess the jetty) will have 7 km/h winds and 7:30 tomorrow (Wed 18/12/13) and 13 km/h winds at 10:30. 1/2 metre swell.I'm planning on using gents on size 8 hooks under a burley float with an aniseed/tuna oil mix.What are my chances? I've never caught one before.

In general I favour the following but you will catch them in all kinds of conditions with various rigs, baits, etc.:Calm conditions with slight chop on the waterWarm surface temperaturesRunning tideWind and tide working togetherI prefer to fish with a float with around 2.5m trace with two number 10 long shank kirby hooks with a small split shot between both hooks (sized to suit tide conditions). I prefer a bran and pollard mix for burley with no fish oil/additives and gents for bait.I fish for gar from a boat but the above should apply for jetty/other land based scenarios too.

The only time I've actually caught gar from the metro jetties is during the day' date=' as soon as the sun drops the gar disappear and all I get is plagues and plagues of tommies.(which taste great fried or barbecued fresh IMO)[/quote']and is good fun for the kids/wife/newbies on a balmy summer night

I have caught many garfish at night even off of the largs jetty and usually they are bigger fish just a tiny berley stream going I used to wrap duct tape around my berley pot so only one line of the slots would let berley through and then get my float way back in the stream to avoid the tommies. Can I also suggest very short trace so the the bait is very close to the surface I live in port Lincoln now and I hit the gar there at night and I use a pencil float with hook attached to line straight after the float so bait is only 6 or 8 inches below surface the gar feed right on the surface at night. Good luck

ive mostly gone for them in mornings and usually i get them from just after sunrise till about 9am-then they get very touchy even though you can see a whole school of them at the back of your boat in the burley trail. I use gents, but if they are touchy or you dont catch too many with them try small strips of pilchard or small prawn pieces with the shell on. you can even try mince meat mixed with abit of semolina and fish oil to form a quite firm paste and put abit on your hook. Also i dont use floats- just one size 10 hook about 70cm trace with a split shot about 10cm from the start of the hook trace. calm conditions are best below 10knts. if they are around the burley will bring them within 20min or so. if not you can try changing spots.tomorrow morning sounds good- i reckon you might get a dozen or so. id be going for squid definitley-they should be on the bitegoodluck!good luck

yep i agree with clark dark nights are best otherwise the gar are the bait ;)..if tommy are around gar always feed behind them so further back the better..also back the berly right off once they are in the berly stream..best tip i can give u is pin the gents through the fat end which is the end without the black dot and they will wriggle for ages and it will increase ur catch big time good luck and the few reports ive hears is there are lots of big buggers around this year B)

gday mate. they definatly like a moving tide and once berlied in back it right off. also if they are going off the bight or are just touchy try slowly reeling in or just pulling it in a meter or two then just letting it back out, as i find they sometimes like a moving bait when theyre touchy. you will often find they will just hook themselves when your reeling in. good luck mate hope you get into them