Recommended mulloway gear

G'day all, always loved chasing mullies in the surf! But never had a real crack by boat, any recommendations on what an ideal combo would be? Mainly live baiting, sometimes plastics

It will almost be exclusively used in the coorong, sometimes glenelg river too, cheers :)

I was thinking something like a small baitrunner with 12-15lb braid should be ample inside coorong? Not sure on rod selection yet

I chase schoolies in the yak down the coorong with plastics with a 1-3kg bream rod with 5lb braid as the ones I catch are mostly smaller than 55cm. I'd suggest a 2-5 or 4-6kg rod with 10-15lb braid for the larger models with a 2500 or 4000 sized reel. For down the Glenelg they get to a metre so 15lb would suffice with upped leader but for the Coorong you can go lightish with 10lb adequate.

Nitro Magnum Butt rod with 3000 size Daiwa or 4000 size Shimano spin reel. Other option is standard barra type trolling rod (double handed models) in 4 - 6kg and a Curado or calcutta baitcast reel would be ample for most Coorong mullies. Have pulled decent black jew off darwin with both these options out of charter boats.

Sounds like I already have the gear to cover it! Minus the baitrunner style reel

I use a rapala x-rap xtreme 2-4kg rod matched with a 2500 size stradic with 6lb braid for all my light applications (bait and lure)

And my heavier type rod has a 4000 stradic with 20lb braid on a 6-8kg catana rod.... From what you guys are saying I should be fine using these combos anyway?

I really have no clue fishing for mullies from the boat so I'm all ears haha

Dylbaa, both the combo's you have will handle most schoolies. Obviously need to not go as hard with the X rap (and hope your not anchored up if you hook a stonker)! Set a live bait with the catana and flick softies with the lighter rig. Won't need a bait runner.

My boat plastics set up is a Certate 2510r-pe currently on a Samaki Zing 7ft 8-15lb, currently spooled up with 15lb super PE>

Beautiful set up for coorong [and anywhere else] mullies with plenty of grunt. I also have a heavier rod i have done some work with when there's a bit more structure and i need to turf em out quickly.

No idea when it comes to live baiting, but i dont think you'd have any issues using the same gear.

There is a bloke selling a certate 2500 in the classifieds at the moment.