hi all,

can someone please give me some pointers on where to find seaweed worms around the northern flats.

I have been looking around thompsons/ parham but have only managed to find 1 worm  :huh: .

a local guy told me to dig in the decomposing weed right up the beach/ high water mark and even told me

where [virtually right in the middle at thompsons] but still no joy. Only one worm and I dug down thru about a 450mm of rotting weed to find that. do I need to be near the mangroves or where its soft/ silty or something?  thanks for any replies, Cheers, Chris

Base of the mangroves under shade is good.

You want to be above the high water mark in an area that the weed had deposited and decomposed for a very long time. The worms will be on the sand right where the weed is starting to breakdown and can be 50cm or more deep down. If you are still digging through rotting weed you may not be deep enough, keep going down till you have nice cool sand layer and the worms should be right above. If no luck move down the beach 10m and dig again. Once you find one you can usually get heaps.

thanks Kelvin, much appreciated . last couple of times I have bought "live" tubies they were decomposing mush so I'm keen to give the seaweed worms a try. I'll have a go in another week or so.  was there yesterday morning but it was virtually unfishable because of the weed, but it was a very high tide, the first time I've been there for a 2.5m tide.  I did see a few fair sized ones.  3 or 4 times I saw them in around a foot of water/ weed and their tails were sticking straight up a few inches above the water, I spose they were digging for cockles or something. saw some big splashes too where they were snatching moths/ bugs off the surface but it was too weedy for a poppa.

I thought it would be safe enough digging thru the weed with my bare hands but yesterday I dug up a spider which was under about a foot of weed. spread out it was about the size of a 20c piece and looked like a wolf spider but it was white. I wouldn't have thought a spider could live or even move under a foot of weed. Thanks again, Cheers