whiting/salmon rod

Hi Guys, can anyone reccomend me a good rod for catching salmon/whiting, maybe also small snapper. I am using a Sedona 4000FB reel. I am looking at spending around $100 and would prefer sticking to shimano but I'd be willing to give another brand a go, thanks :)my trusty ugly stick i had for 10+ years has finally started to fall apart.. :(

my trusty ugly stick i had for 10+ years has finally started to fall apart.. :(

In what way is it falling apart Yorkie?Cheaper option maybe to rebuild. Binding is relatively easy as u already have the spacings for the guides and even refitting the winch fitting should be a sinch!
basically the guides had all rusted and a few snapped off, and the grip had chunks missing out of it.. The main tube of the rod had also started to rust..As its so old and had a good life I decided to ditch it and my mum is now using it as a stake to hold up tomato plants, lol.. ;DSo im now looking for another rod.. I have two others but I have this near new reel just sitting there so thought I'd put it to use.. ;)just out of curiosity tho, how much would it cost to repair a rod? ie, replace guides and grips?

Yorkie, what are u refering too when u say the main tube?Is it an older Ugly with an aluminium winch fitting? (Did they come out with them ???)The blank shouldnt be corroded and if not damaged in anyway would be suitable I'm sure for a rebuild. Perhaps it would be a liitle more than the $100 u want to spend, particularly if given to someone to do, but believe me, and I'm sure butters will concur, doing it yourself is not hard and the reality of it is that most of the hard work is already done for you.The rod will have already been built up on it prefered backbone (well u hope it has), all the spacings and postions are already there, so its just a case of copying what was there before. Take in the old runners for sizing as well or you may want to change the sizing and type to something else.You dont have to go to the extravagance of weaves or intricate under binding (although u may want to try it) and there is plenty of information on how to start and finish each bind.If u dont have access to some epoxying equipment, I'm sure ur local tackle store could do that part for you relatively cheaply. The buzz, u'll have from catching fish on a stick u built yourself is fantastic and makes it a little more rewarding

starlo stix

:thumb:Just MHO ;) ;D
U wanna explain your reasons LL?
Sure Yobbo. I brought a Starlo Stick and used it for a while (about a year) to flick around HB and SPs, I never liked the way it cast :-\ I found I couldn't get a good distance with it and think there are better options out there ;). I have since purchased a Daiwa and it is much better by along way ;) Just my personal preference ;):D

thanks for the advice fellas, ive decided im gonna get two rods, the daiwa's do look nice and in the size range im after so i'll give that one a go for sure.. im gonna head into one of our friendly sponsers stores to make a decision on the other, expect i'll be there for a while and no doubt i'll spend some dosh on other fishing gear while im there, lol.. ;D

I,d say get 2 rods myself 1 for whiting and 1 for salmon and ruggers.A Silstar crystal tip would be a good replacement for your old rod on the salmon and ruggers and for the KG i,d be looking for something in the Tica range.Just remember you only live once and it is Xmas. cheers brenton

my mum has an old silstar rod which she has had for ages! they're definately a reliable rod, will check them out ;)

Sure Yobbo. I brought a Starlo Stick and used it for a while (about a year) to flick around HB and SPs, I never liked the way it cast :-\ I found I couldn't get a good distance with it and think there are better options out there ;). I have since purchased a Daiwa and it is much better by along way ;) Just my personal preference ;):D

Fair enough. I have never had one myself, they just came very highly recomended from a very, very good fisho.I bought a Daiwa Saltwater, had to re mortgage the house. Very nice to use, but I gotta say I am extremely dissapointed with the way it is finished off. (insect glued under the epoxy).I do agree on the silstars though, I use them also. Even caught a Tuna on one ;)

Yobbo, just on ya comments about the starlo stix. Was your source referring to the first darker coloured ones or the later blue ones? I think many have echoed the thoughts of LL that the current crop were a let down compared to the predecesor. In saying that however, I believe the tournament series are are a cut above both again.Like you, I havent used either of them and am only going on what I've heard. Yorkie, best of luck with ya decision making, bet you'll be like a kid in a lollie shop.

Yobbo, just on ya comments about the starlo stix. Was your source referring to the first darker coloured ones or the later blue ones? I think many have echoed the thoughts of LL that the current crop were a let down compared to the predecesor. In saying that however, I believe the tournament series are are a cut above both again.Like you, I havent used either of them and am only going on what I've heard. Yorkie, best of luck with ya decision making, bet you'll be like a kid in a lollie shop.

To be honest CK, I am not sure which model. Like I said, I havnt used them, and probably wont lol. YA just mentioned that he would prefer Shimano, thats why I passed on the info I was given.He is making the right decision by visiting one of the sponsors stores. They will set him up with the best outfit for his budget, and look after him price wise. ;)

Quote from Big Ash,Howdy Crewcheck this out, i've finally cracked the snapper ton on a Plastic.Boxing day while fishing with a few mates this 102cm Snapper took a liking to my Squidgy 125mm White Lightning Shad & it put on a show. this footage starts about midway through the fight, the initial onslaught has happened & i'm just upping the game, tightning the drag & working on this monster from the deep.Landed on a Shimano Symetre 4000/20lb braid on a Starlo Stix Tournament Pro Max Spinrod, anyone considering a SP setup needs to have a go of 1 of these. EnjoyCheersBigAshSeems they come highly recommended from another great fisho (pro)as well. :)

• 4 weeks later...