Metro Yellowfin Whiting Water Temp

Hey guys, was just wondering if any of you whiting whisperers know what temperate the water is roughly when the YFW start making their way onto the metro beaches? I know they follow the cooler water down as the water begins to heat up the gulf but that's as far as my knowledge goes haha

I noticed on Sunday that it was around the 14 degree mark, im wondering if that changes much as the warmer weather begins

I don't even know how you would work out what the water temp would be - portable thermometer in your pocket to stick in water :)

But I have read here, like you said J@mes the water needs to warm up, and it was mentioned the weather needs a fews 'days' or a week of over 30's.

But will also be interested in the correct advice and also where people generally go to catch them - jetties or beach.

Thanks Kelvin and Underpants - I have saved the link and found BOM's links.

KN, I found this post on S&H (8/2013) that you may find interesting

http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/22316-winter-yellow-fin-whiting-log/

And this one (9/2007)​

http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/139-yellow-fin-whiting-are-coming-soon/

Thanks a lot guys, all very helpful posts.

Thanks Kelvin Underpants, I'll keep checking the temperature using Underpants' link he provided over the next 2 weeks with all this sunny fine weather, and hopefully if gets up another 2-3 degrees I'll go out chasing them then, if not, it will be another squid session!

Thanks Doobie, that first link to Des' posts I have seen before, that's actually where I learned that the whiting follow the cooler water, and the pictures he showed how the top of the gulf is cooler in winter and hotter in summer really starts to make a lot of sense.

Cheers guys, always learn a lot on this site!

:D