Question About Salmon Trout

G'day guys, Merry Christmas to AllHave a question in regards to Salmon Trout, I have caught plenty in the Port, and I was having a chat to a bloke over work lunch, who has only been fishing once in a blue moon. He said ST's are different species to Salmon to which I replied "I think they are juvenile Salmon", am I correct? are they just juvenile Salmon? Cheers ;)

Guest dabilda

You are correct Lazylure.Anywhere else in Australia a Salmon is a Salmon from day one, only in SA are they reffered to as Salmon Trout when juveniles.In reality there is no such thing as a Salmon Trout if you read up on Common Fish Names, they are all Australian Salmon.

so whats the leagal length then? does it comes under australian salmon?

Yes.Minimum legal length: 21 cm measured from tip of snout to tip of tail For salmon 21 cm to 35 cm: Personal daily bag limit: 20 Daily boat limit: 60 For salmon longer than 35 cm: Personal daily bag limit: 10

i always thought, salmon, salmon trout and trout.

Interesting one this boys, in the UK where the first Nation Builders came from, they also carried all their baggage, ie names, which they associated with thier homeland Flora and Fauna.So, the Atlantic Salmon became the Australian Salmon which of course is an oceanic fish returning to river Headwaters to breed unlike the Aussie Salmon which breeds in the ocean.To confuse matters, the Sea Trout, or Salmon Trout, also are oceanic and breed in headwaters but are no where near as big in size.I wonder if the early pioneers didn't realise that the Aussie Salmon is the same species (just like lazy lures workmate didn't )I guess the scientists would have put this all right as they ploughed through the list of amazing animals on this continent.Good topic LL.Cheers, tonyb.