Dead sand crabs

was at semi on sun arvo and and to my amazement-shock there were thousands of dad sand crabs (to my sons delight) this might seem like a stupid question but does anyone know why :icon_exclaim: this would happen its obvious they were stuck in a chanel as the tide ran out but why wouldnt they go with the tide............

I live at Semi and last week all the crabs were stuck in the Chanel and as the water heated up they just cooked, the water in the pools was hot where they were to the point of being uncomfortable on your feet. The ones that did make it out died on the sand B4 they could get to the cooler water.

one evening last week we were wading in the shallows at nth haven beach. after gettin nipped a few times, had to walk on the beach.I reckon thousands & thousands of 5cm (2" for the old farts) sand crabs were diigging themselves back in the sand as the receding water tried to drag them out to sea.must have something to do with their breeding cycle.the dead crabs, were they juveniles or mature??

Don't worry fellas there's plenty more from where they came from. I fished along the beach today 3/2/09 and those 2" ( 5cm for the new farts)crabs are still thick. (Plague proportions)I was catching double headers of the little stinkers while I was fishing for goldbars. Even had one hanging on to a C sinker.Alot more prevalent than the fish. I mean I couldn't catch many goldbars, because the crabs were taking the bait, before any fish could sniff it.niftrev

well when i was crabbing 3 or 4 weeks back everybody was pulling up 25+ tiny sandys in each net and then when you finally got a big bluey there would be maybe 1 or 2 sandys in there, do the bigger blueys scare them away or what?also plenty of rays were cruising around that day, one picked up my net from straight down and took it out 5 metres or so and took the wire that was holding my bait with it!didnt feel like taking baits though!